Why become a member? ×

Are Gibson classifieds going to be banned?

prowla

On 11/07/2019 at 21:10, Doctor J said:

Nasty Gibson were seemingly threatening shops which stocked Deans with legal action prior to them filing a suit against Dean themselves. That'll win them friends.

https://guitar.com/news/dean-seeks-trademark-cancellation-against-gibson-alleges-dealer-interference/

When Gibson issued their slightly more emollient statement last week it seemed like they might claw back an inch of credibility.

But if there's one thing guaranteed to upset fanbois more than Gibson having a run at Dean it's Gibson's lawyers lobbing cease and desist letters at neighbourhood guitar shops while encouraging them to nark on other dealers. It's at times like this that I lie awake at night wondering if I was too hard on Henry Juskiewiecz. Because these guys seem to be hurtling off the map at 100mph whereas Hank was just a moron.

And we're still awaiting any kind of marketplace reaction to the new 2019 product runs. Is the QC still sh*t? Have some of the longer term issues been sorted? Are Guitar Centre still mashing up defective Lesters rather than send them back?

I do not know but I think we should be told.

23 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

PS: Dingwall under the cosh for Thunderbird Infringement? (Cross post)

Was literally just about to post re: Dingwall. They’ve tweaked the shape of the bodies and headstocks on the “D-Bird” and renamed it the “D-Roc”

Before and after photos:

69B82132-C665-411F-9901-251F24016391.thumb.jpeg.562037213bb5ac3c9549bc73de3405c3.jpeg

297045C2-A86A-4F66-A19A-D207C3001C13.thumb.jpeg.03cb281b288e1be0c695d8c5c2cc226d.jpeg

To be be honest (and this hasn’t been clarified by Sheldon Dingwall) I actually doubt Gibson have gone after Dingwall yet. I suspect Sheldon just sensed the general stench surrounding this entire Gibson situation and decided to avoid it altogether, whilst making some cool mods to an already very popular model. Good on them I say.

Edited by CameronJ

On 20/06/2019 at 21:48, skankdelvar said:

Frankly, I think it's time that the estate of the late Mr Paul Bigsby (1899–1968) sued both Fender and Gibson.

Below: From 1947-1948 (four years before the Les Paul and six years before the Strat). Nice headstock and body shape, eh?

StreamImage.aspx?Image_ID=BA4454D4-3599-

and this two pup Bigsby:

Bigsby+3rd.jpg

It is a fact that both Leo Fender and Les Paul knew Bigsby, sat around and discussed guitars, saw his work, etc. 

Suck on that, Gibson bread-head dudes.

The Fenderish headstock is, in fact, an Austrian design from an acoustic guitar of ... 1820. 🤔

I guess the family should sue Bigsby and Fender to earn a lot of money. 😁

Why hire an instrument trader (wanting to earn more money every minute) like Mark Agnesi, as Director of Brand Experience (what did they smoke ?), when they could have hired the way way way more clever Ned Steinberger who licensed his design instead of suing the counterfeiting companies. I know, he would certainly have laughed a lot after the nice job Gibson did with his brand. 

Talking about Steinberger just points out the fact that Gibson is only able to buy a company and then ruin it completely within the next minute. Remember the Tobias case too ? 

And what about Heritage ? Will they sue them too, even if there has been a legal agreement at the time.

And for those wanting to see and hear a pathetic new Trump, here it is (again) 

In '66 Bigsby sold the company to the ex-president of Gibson.

In '99 it was sold to Gretsch.

Fender bought Bigsby in '19.

So... Fender won't worry about the headstock design, but perhaps Gibson my be shaping up for a battle with the big boys if they decide to make a big fuss around the 'LP' shape...

Do you think I could copyright the fret? Everyone uses them so I suppose no one ever has, I could single handedly screw the whole music business over and become so popular everyone would want to buy my guitars!! 🤑 I know that isn't actually possible :laugh1:

• Haha 7

22 hours ago, Christine said:

Do you think I could copyright the fret? Everyone uses them so I suppose no one ever has, I could single handedly screw the whole music business over and become so popular everyone would want to buy my guitars!! 🤑 I know that isn't actually possible :laugh1:

No.  A copyright is something normally attached to creative work not an object and grants the rights over reproduction of the work.  A trademark is supposed to be a specific logo or design which identifies a product's manufacturer.  Frets are ubiquitous and can't be registered.  A patent is what you want - this registers a design or part of a design which is unique and capable of industrial or commercial application and makes the design feature public.  However you can only apply for a patent before the product/design is in the public domain. Paperclips have never been patented and it wouldn't be possible to patent them now.