Why become a member? ×

Are Gibson classifieds going to be banned?

prowla

Firstly you cannot ban someone from selling a Gibson as a Gibson, a Fender as a Fender or a Rickenbacker as a Rickenbacker. However of course if Gibson has any kind of IPR on its designs, they are within their rights to protect them. Gibson's problem is that the quality has dropped so badly that some of the so called clones.Tokai for example, make better Gibsons that Gibson.

Of course the Epiphone range muddies that water if you don't know that Epiphone is Gibson's "Squier". So before they go after all and sundry, they should invest to ensure that a Gibson Les Paul is better than a Tokai or even Harley Benton. Then they can rightly go after the Jibsons and the Chibsons and boutique clones.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

It’s a well made video with a clear message. Good for Gibson I say.

Clear message, certainly. But epic fail for the filming - looking away from the camera during close-ups is a schoolboy error. 

• Like 2

Difficult one, I absolutely agree that if someone has IP to protect, fair play. However, it does ultimately come across as a big corporate threat. As has been said, invest money in building better versions of those guitar designs than everyone else, and you won’t have to make these threats. Make the threat before you’ve upped your game, and it just looks like you’re throwing your weight around before paying dues back to the customer.

Si

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

Clear message, certainly. But epic fail for the filming - looking away from the camera during close-ups is a schoolboy error. 

Fair enough, I’m not an industry insider so can’t judge on composition etc. 

I think people encouraging Gibson to make better guitars are totally right, but good or bad has no relevance to IP.

39 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Firstly you cannot ban someone from selling a Gibson as a Gibson, a Fender as a Fender or a Rickenbacker as a Rickenbacker. However of course if Gibson has any kind of IPR on its designs, they are within their rights to protect them. Gibson's problem is that the quality has dropped so badly that some of the so called clones.Tokai for example, make better Gibsons that Gibson.

Of course the Epiphone range muddies that water if you don't know that Epiphone is Gibson's "Squier". So before they go after all and sundry, they should invest to ensure that a Gibson Les Paul is better than a Tokai or even Harley Benton. Then they can rightly go after the Jibsons and the Chibsons and boutique clones.

I presume the OP is referring to this site rather than a complete ban, similar to the one that exists on here for Ricks, genuine or otherwise.

10 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Agnesi: (speaking in tones of hushed reverence) "The one I got in my hands. The big daddy of them all. The Les Paul."

Ah, yes. A Gold Top with a visibly squint bridge pick-up. 

620524743_squintgoldtop.jpg.d2601db86282dbcc228a37ab1a3aea51.jpg

Screengrab from Agnesi video

It's pronounced LESS Paul now, apparently.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In fairness, hiring the normally reliable Mark Agnesi from Norm's is a bit of a coup.

Shame that the new hedge fund wonks at Gibson decided to put him out there as a bizarre cross between an awestruck muppet and an Obergruppenfuhrer with piles.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Could be too late as Gibson have done nothing to protect IP for a long time. That aside, far east manufacturers simply won't care and carry on. 

...and unless it's got a novelty detachable neck, then it's clearly not a Gibson or an accurate clone of one, so still no need to worry 😎

• Haha 1

I think they tried this with Paul Reed Smith a few years ago and they didn`t win that one.

Does Gibson`s legacy and copyright of shapes extend to the Gibson/Epi Stratocasters they made a few years back?

Hi my name is Mark Agnesi and no I`m not reading this corporate BS off an autocue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

In fairness, hiring the normally reliable Mark Agnesi from Norm's is a bit of a coup.

Shame that the new hedge fund wonks at Gibson decided to put him out there as a bizarre cross between an awestruck muppet and an Obergruppenfuhrer with piles.

I don't know the guy, but the video is creepy, weird and sinister... I also don't know where the other four dwarfs are.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Agnesi: (speaking in tones of hushed reverence) "The one I got in my hands. The big daddy of them all. The Les Paul."

Ah, yes. A Gold Top with a visibly squint bridge pick-up.

Isn't that "character"?

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

Isn't that "character"?

I'd definitely pay $2499 for a guitar with a squint pick-up just so I could admire its characterful-ness.

To be fair, the squint Gold Top in the vid was probably made on Henry Juskiewicz's watch. IIRC, the new range models manufactured under the new management start to ship this month and reaction will doubtless follow shortly thereafter. 

41 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Wanted to watch that, but get message that it's been removed by user?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Or in Gibson’s case, potentially worse than Henry. Who’d have thought that possible? They release a shambolic threat video, then pull it down when people think it’s creepy and sinister 😂😂😂

An encouragingly comedic start for the soulless suits charged with squeezing profit out of the past. I look forward to what they come up with next. Perhaps I should practice looking surprised for that day in the future when when the troops show up at the front door with a warrant to smash up my lovely Tokai 335?

And what is more rock and roll than being called Director Of Brand ExperienceYou lost, hippies!

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Marvin said:

Could be too late as Gibson have done nothing to protect IP for a long time.

Which will hurt them in US copyright law - the reason that Rickenbacker are such ****s to sites like this isn't because they are ****s but because they have to show they are actively protecting their IP

The video's gone - but everything in a Gibson may make up the "Gibson DNA"  but that doesn't mean that everything in a Gibson is able to be protected as their IP. 

• Like 1