Why become a member? ×

Kustom DE 1200 hybrid head

solo4652

I would be really interested to hear anyones experiences with this or any of the Kustom gear also.

I had been considering getting myself one of these Kustom rigs together for quite a while.  Although it hasn't happened yet, the prices are good, it's a bit different to what everyone else uses and looks pretty cool to be fair. It could be done for around £600ish. Problem is there is just so little info available on the Deep End gear , though I am sure I read or possibly saw on YouTube that an ex Ampeg guy had some involvement somewhere along the line, on the DE 300 head at least ?

😎

This appears to be a very attractive back-up amp proposition. For around £250 you get quite good value for money. I wonder what Class D module they are using? I'm sure by now there are some excellent clones of the most popular Class D modules. 

I really like the  pre amp in & out sockets in addition to the FX send & return.

I've heard some good things about some of the older Kustom bass gear. The KXB500 was supposed to be awesome and I was chasing one for a while but seems not many came this way.

Our guitarist uses a little Kustom combo. Only about 30w, but bloody loud. He also has a Mesa and a Dr Z but seems to prefer the Kustom.

• 2 weeks later...

Right then, spotted a "B" stock one of these on Thomann for €246 when looking to order something else, (honest guv), so sprung for it. I've done 1 gig with it and was pretty impressed and I HATE Class D amps as a rule. I'll do a "quick and dirty" review tomorrow and follow up with a proper one when it's had a few more gigs under its belt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So here are my initial thoughts on the Kustom. Firstly it might be worth mentioning why I went for it as I previously stated by lack of enthusiasm for Class D amps. My MarkBass SA450 does not seem to be delivering the goods like it has over the last 10+ years. I seem to have to wind it up a lot more to get the desired output so I thought lets give the Kustom a go as if I don't like it, it can go back within 30 days.

Out of the box it feels quite solid and there is certainly more weight to it than a lot of the Class D offerings that are around. I'm hoping that is a nicely designed power supply. Build quality is excellent, everything fits well and it has a quality feel about. I'm not sure why they chose to have 2 inputs as they are not independently controlled. A simple slide switch is used to select your input and each has a 10dB pad switch. The tone controls puzzled me at first as they do not have centre detents so initially I didn't know if they were boost only or cut and boost. A quick email to Kustom and a very speedy reply confirming they are cut/boost with the flat position being at 12 o'clock. I find it a bit strange that they chose not to have a centre detent on Bass/Mid/Treble but have on Room EQ controls. A minor thing I know and whilst I'm nitpicking, why a Speakon/Jack combo output AND a Jack? I would certainly prefer 2 Speakons as I don't have to daisy chain my cabs. 

Right so firing it up through my 2 Zoot 1x12s and boy is it LOUD. With the gain on 12 and master on 12, I hardly had my bass volume turned up at all. With everything flat it had a nice deep thick bass sound with just a little bit of crunch. The definition was there and I felt just like i did when I first plugged into an Eden WT550, it was just there. Certainly a different sound to the Eden but a great natural tone nevertheless.

The 2 room Eq controls do exactly as described. Low Contour Room EQ - this active control is the final shaping for low frequencies. Increasing this control cuts a notch in the low frequencies to help smooth out room “boominess”. Decreasing this control rolls off the extreme low frequencies.
The High Contour Room EQ - this active control is the final shaping for high frequencies. Increasing this control cuts a notch in the high frequencies to help smooth out typical speaker peaks or room “harshness”. This can be a useful way to control the horn level.

I used it on a gig last Friday and it was an interesting setting. We played in a brewery on a raised stage so probably the worst acoustics imaginable. Huge steel containers, a "bouncy" stage, concrete walls, however it sounded great. My problem with all the Class D amps I have tried in the past is that they sound bloody loud on their own but get lost in the band mix. Not the Kustom. It sounded exactly the same when we started playing as it did when I was setting up and with tons of power in reserve.

I've another couple of gigs to try it on before i have to make a decision, but so far I can't see me returning it. For just over £200 with a 3 year warranty, it is a bargain.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 01/07/2019 at 14:43, BassBunny said:

So here are my initial thoughts on the Kustom. Firstly it might be worth mentioning why I went for it as I previously stated by lack of enthusiasm for Class D amps. My MarkBass SA450 does not seem to be delivering the goods like it has over the last 10+ years. I seem to have to wind it up a lot more to get the desired output so I thought lets give the Kustom a go as if I don't like it, it can go back within 30 days.

Out of the box it feels quite solid and there is certainly more weight to it than a lot of the Class D offerings that are around. I'm hoping that is a nicely designed power supply. Build quality is excellent, everything fits well and it has a quality feel about. I'm not sure why they chose to have 2 inputs as they are not independently controlled. A simple slide switch is used to select your input and each has a 10dB pad switch. The tone controls puzzled me at first as they do not have centre detents so initially I didn't know if they were boost only or cut and boost. A quick email to Kustom and a very speedy reply confirming they are cut/boost with the flat position being at 12 o'clock. I find it a bit strange that they chose not to have a centre detent on Bass/Mid/Treble but have on Room EQ controls. A minor thing I know and whilst I'm nitpicking, why a Speakon/Jack combo output AND a Jack? I would certainly prefer 2 Speakons as I don't have to daisy chain my cabs. 

Right so firing it up through my 2 Zoot 1x12s and boy is it LOUD. With the gain on 12 and master on 12, I hardly had my bass volume turned up at all. With everything flat it had a nice deep thick bass sound with just a little bit of crunch. The definition was there and I felt just like i did when I first plugged into an Eden WT550, it was just there. Certainly a different sound to the Eden but a great natural tone nevertheless.

The 2 room Eq controls do exactly as described. Low Contour Room EQ - this active control is the final shaping for low frequencies. Increasing this control cuts a notch in the low frequencies to help smooth out room “boominess”. Decreasing this control rolls off the extreme low frequencies.
The High Contour Room EQ - this active control is the final shaping for high frequencies. Increasing this control cuts a notch in the high frequencies to help smooth out typical speaker peaks or room “harshness”. This can be a useful way to control the horn level.

I used it on a gig last Friday and it was an interesting setting. We played in a brewery on a raised stage so probably the worst acoustics imaginable. Huge steel containers, a "bouncy" stage, concrete walls, however it sounded great. My problem with all the Class D amps I have tried in the past is that they sound bloody loud on their own but get lost in the band mix. Not the Kustom. It sounded exactly the same when we started playing as it did when I was setting up and with tons of power in reserve.

I've another couple of gigs to try it on before i have to make a decision, but so far I can't see me returning it. For just over £200 with a 3 year warranty, it is a bargain.

I was window shopping on Thomann a while ago and built myself into a froth of gas over this amp. I survived without parting with my hard earned - money I actually didn't really have, and so some bills got paid! 

At the time I complimented myself on admirable restraint. Your review makes me wonder. Quite a looker too isn't it? 

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I was window shopping on Thomann a while ago and built myself into a froth of gas over this amp. I survived without parting with my hard earned - money I actually didn't really have, and so some bills got paid! 

At the time I complimented myself on admirable restraint. Your review makes me wonder. Quite a looker too isn't it? 

They're not listed on Thomann any more if that helps any?