Why become a member? ×

Bass action keeps falling

Franku

So I got a new bass recently (fender p bass player series). And it's amazing exept a slight issue I have. I have a rather aggressive playing style especially when on stage and on two occasions, once while on stage the action on my E string has dropped considerably. This has caused the string to sit flat on the neck so it makes a horrible bumf noise instead of a note. I always seem to be able to fix it by just raising the action again and it holds out intill I play to hard again but I need a permanent fix. I've herd a bridge called the badass bass II. I've read it has fixed the problem for other people but there problem seems to be there action falling slowly over time rather than all at once. Does anyone have any ideas if this will work?

4 minutes ago, Bassalarky said:

Maybe you could try some threadlock (or even clear nail varnish) on the saddle adjustment screws?

I have herd of this technique but I dont think the screen is rotating I think it Is skipping threads as it falls quite far all at once 

Yep, sounds like a job for new saddle screws or it could be the thread in the saddle is worn.

You can get replacement saddles, (brass ones look the business), or the threadlock/varnish idea is possibly worth a try. 

The Badass bridge is not made any more. Hipshot do the Kickass bridge and Omega do one that is similar. You are talking £70 - 100 for one of those, similar if you can find a NOS Badass.

Replacement saddles are about £10 or a Wilkinson Vintage bridge, (I can highly recommend these), about £12 - £15 and is a direct replacement.