Why become a member? ×

Why so many 6-string basses for sale?

Tankdave

On 14/06/2019 at 09:59, chris_b said:

This type of observation happens all the time over on Talkbass where someone posts that 5 string basses can't be that good, because there are so many for sale. Over there the guys who notice this can also be the ones who post "Jaco only needed 4" when 5 string basses are discussed!

I can get by with 2. Just wondering whether that puts me in the genius camp or the pony camp.

5 hours ago, akabane said:

I completely disagree here - you should never feel like justifying your gear with your audience. Why feeling that way? If you're in front of an audience it means that you're good enough to play an audience, they're here to hear you play, not check out what kind of bass you have and judge you :)

Thanks, but it's about expectations - if I saw another bassist playing something like my Ibby I'd expect them to be a better bass player than I am. You don't need to understand bass guitars to spot this one as bling (which is *not* why I love her!) 

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Nothing wrong with great gear, but you don't need a fancy bass to be inspired to make great music. 

You can take away ALL my fancy gear, and leave me with 'just' a £200 used Yamaha BB 425. I will still love playing bass with my band. 

The better and more confident you are, the better you can do with "less great" gear. If the naff Encore P I keep at work had been my first bass, I would have given up within months. My GMR 5 wouldn't let me give up. She isn't "fancy", but you won't find better build or tone quality for 5 times what I paid for her. She's my inspiration much more than any particular famous bass player. 

• Like 1