Why become a member? ×

Replacement Jazz Bass Neck

shadowalka

Can I ask the obvious?  Why not just source a ready made one?  Surely the costs are going to comparable, if not lower than going through a luthier?  A genuine loaded Fender from somewhere like The Stratosphere is going to come in shipped at less than £300.00.

I guess it depends on what the original poster is really after. I wanted a very specific neck, which although simple, couldn't have been found without going to a luthier. Plus the option of having the neck shaped to replicate my main P bass appealed!

@cgg199

How much did Shuker do your neck for and what was the turnaround timewise?

@nancyjohnson

Pretty much what cgg199 said. Opportunity to get a neck built to a specific and try it out at various stages. Even if I were to buy off the shelf I'll still be 'guessing and hoping' I get the right neck. I'm happy to spend a bit more and talk to a luthier (with good rep) to get the right feel neck.

Thanks for both of your inputs anyway.

27 minutes ago, shadowalka said:

Thanks for both of your inputs anyway.

No sweat...I suppose with my huge gorilla hands, neck sizes, width at nut, radius and profiles etc. don't make a lot of difference for me.  The only thing I'm not a fan of is necks with a high gloss finish.