Why become a member? ×

Sir Horace on effects

stewblack

10 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Are you keen on effects and pedalboards?

“I don’t do tap-dancing.”

And your/his point is?

A good musician plays for the music. Sometimes all you need is your instrument. Sometimes you need a load of sound shaping devices. Knowing when and where to use them is one of the things that sets a good musician above an average one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

And your/his point is?

A good musician plays for the music. Sometimes all you need is your instrument. Sometimes you need a load of sound shaping devices. Knowing when and where to use them is one of the things that sets a good musician above an average one.

Maybe a “point” isn’t being made.

Maybe he’s just trying to be humorous.

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

And your/his point is?

Why do you think I have a point? It's a funny line, so I shared it. 

of course he doesn't tap dance. Doesn't have to. I expect he has full FOH support and the band has their own soundperson who dials in compression,delay and any EQ his bass sound requires.

It's funny, I must've spent $3,000 on various pedals, pre amps , dirt, compressors.

I just go direct to my amp now. Wanna buy some pedals?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

of course he doesn't tap dance. Doesn't have to. I expect he has full FOH support and the band has their own soundperson who dials in compression,delay and any EQ his bass sound requires.

It's funny, I must've spent $3,000 on various pedals, pre amps , dirt, compressors.

I just go direct to my amp now. Wanna buy some pedals?

For preference I go straight into a valve amp and use my fingers to vary my sound and dynamics. 

However I also can't resist effects pedals. I blow hot and cold though. At the moment I'm building up my pedal collection again and using up hours of valuable rehearsal time messing with them. I'm now up to 3 pedal boards but I bet in 6 months time I'll be fed up of all the extra faffing around and be back to a bass, a cable and an amp. 

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

For preference I go straight into a valve amp and use my fingers to vary my sound and dynamics. 

However I also can't resist effects pedals. I blow hot and cold though. At the moment I'm building up my pedal collection again and using up hours of valuable rehearsal time messing with them. I'm now up to 3 pedal boards but I bet in 6 months time I'll be fed up of all the extra faffing around and be back to a bass, a cable and an amp. 

yep, in between I seriously think of spending a grand on a HX Stomp lol, it's a sickness

• Haha 1