Why become a member? ×

5 string P/J pickups, recommendations needed!

classamin

Evening all.

I have just taken the plunge into my latest foray of 5 string tomfoolery, and purchased myself a Yamaha BB235 in black. Bass is pending arrival, so I haven't had a chance to give it a go and see what I make of them yet but I'm willing to give them a chance (I may love the stock pickups!) As I've read the stock pickups are quite decent on their own, and that the YGD designed pickups in these entry level basses are generally a cut above the usual fare you'd expect to find in an entry level bass. However, there's a good chance I may not like them as I tend to take a liking to more modern, aggressive sounding pickups, such as the Seymour Duncan SPB-3. Which leads me to my request for recommendations...

Which 5 string P/J sets are available that would fit the bill of a modern sounding, fairly hot P/J? I've seen that Seymour Duncan offers a quarter pound P bass and J bass bridge pickup separately and I'm especially interested in these, I used to have a quarter pound in an old fender P I had years ago but have no experience on how they handle a low B, and have no idea how good/bad the 1/4lb J bass bridge pickup is. Anybody use/has used the quarter pound P/J 5 string sets on here willing to give a wee review? Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated too, I've seen there are offerings from Nordstrand, EMG and Aguilar to name a few, would any of these cover the general thing I'm aiming for?

Cheers!

IMG_20190610_204801_905.jpg