Left leaderboard
Al Krow

NEW - Acoustic Image Doubleshot 2x10" cab

Posted (edited)

This thing is tiny !!!!

Handles 600W at 4 ohms through 2x10" plus 1x5" to provide added mid punch. 

Omni directional sound - which I guess will work well as both stage monitor and audience cab, but query whether you're going to end up with 'wasted' sound watts?

Frequency Response: 40 Hz - 16 kHz

Designed for acoustic and electric instruments including bass, guitar and keyboards

It weighs, wait for it...

Image result for acoustic image doubleshot

...just 15 lbs

Oh, and did I mention it's tiny? :) 

It's just 12" high and 11" wide.

Competition for my BF SC? Very possibly.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Be fascinated to try this. My dream of cycling, fully laden, to gigs gets ever closer 

Wow!

I borrowed an Acoustic Image combo once for a gig, I think it was a 2x8" with one of the speakers firing downwards, similar omnidirectional concept and it worked really well, it even kept up with a loud drummist and filled the small/medium room, probably about 100 folks in attendance.

I didn't realise they did stand alone cabs?...

Tell me more.

Eude

• Like 1

This is the kind of thing that would be great for actor-musician theatre productions. Could be discreetly incorporated into the set and due it’s its somewhat omnidirectional (or at the very least, bidirectional) design, one wouldn’t be nearly as limited in placement options.

I may well be the only member of this forum with such a use case xD

I’m about to order one unheard.. wish me luck... hardly any reviews or videos to support their release online it’s frustrating.

AI make fantastic sounding products.. could this be the game changer for double bass amps?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, headofire said:

I’m about to order one unheard.. wish me luck... hardly any reviews or videos to support their release online it’s frustrating.

AI make fantastic sounding products.. could this be the game changer for double bass amps?

Ah amazing - looks like you're going to be the first BC'er to get one!

I just took delivery of a Fearless 112 yesterday which has been a few months in the coming and I'm currently also using a BF SC, which I'm loving for its combination of light weight and general overall quality, so looks like I'm going to be fully sorted in terms of cabs for a while. But really looking forward to getting your thoughts on this - which supplier are you getting yours from?

In case you've not come across - here's a link to the TB thread I've also been following: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/acoustic-image-unveils-the-doubleshot-lightweight-2x10-cabinet.1407014/

One negative post on that thread which I thought was actually quite interesting: "The spec (at least the performance spec) is...really unspecified. The one thing you can be certain of is it doesn't have a lot of low frequency sensitivity - that tiny cabinet size simply won't allow that. It might work fine for reinforcing an upright, but if you're playing electric with a drummer, I'd say look elsewhere."

Don't know how true that is going to be - I'd love to get some of our resident cab experts views on that particular point.

This is the one decent comparison video I've come across - which will be on point for you as it's been done on double bass. The A.I. seems to hold its own very well!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Thanks that’s kind of you, I’ve seen those links. Congratulations on the new cab! I think that comment is forgettable. The ‘spec’ shown is exactly the same as how most cabs spec is provided and there’s a white paper on AI’s website with details of the design for very in depth information. 

All I want it to do is be a fair bit louder and more neutral than Barefaced’s one10 as I found I needed two of those or the sub/bottom end needs to be filtered out. Great cabs those though.

In the end upright players generally want the smallest thing that does the job that they can hear clearly and I guess even that rattly audio on the video proves it sounds great. Natural and loud. The GK sounds beefy as you’d expect but he definitely plays with more enjoyment on the AI and the sound is very natural.

Also the concept of it firing out in an omnipresent (more bass everywhere!!) way with a clear mid driver facing me is just too good to pass up. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, headofire said:

In the end upright players generally want the smallest thing that does the job that they can hear clearly...

Hah, that's not a wish limited to upright players believe me! 😁

If you do find that this takes the place of 2 BF one10s then that does suggest to me it should also stack up well against single BF SC.

I'm very much looking forward to your review! 

Well I know it’s odd but ‘technically’ a square cab to produce bass efficiently is almost starting with its shoe on the wrong foot. Square waves suck out bottom end. Tbh I can cycle to most gigs and that’s enough of a pull with the top mounted mid driver it’s a monitor and an amp in one cab. As long as it handles my head on half volume I’m laughing 

Ok googled it yes I see. Looks pretty amazing though, if it can carry a medium sized gig with a mellow band it will do for me. 

The AI speakers and combos that I've encountered seem to be designed around sounding natural in relatively low volume jazz or acoustic gig settings, where sensitivity and overall loudness aren't the main considerations.  I'd say that the downfiring 1x10" combos they were making a few years ago run out of steam noticeably earlier than more conventional ported 1x10 cabs I've used.  It's probably a nice cab for jazz double bassists, but I'd be surprised if it could replace a typical 2x10 for electric bass use.

Would definitely be checking this one out! I have a thing for super portable gear, and the design concept is interesting. 😊

Look forward to hearing your impressions!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, we’ll see on Friday when it turns up I suppose. I’m realistic about useable volume from something that size. I think the power handling isn’t especially realistic. I’m hoping for a little deeper bass response and a more open sound than my cmd121p gives me. The Barefaced 10s were great for that but I needed two compared to the combo. 

Hey, it weighs 6.8 kilograms and goes in a Tom case. Also has a mid/monitor speaker pointing right at you. One speaker for the drummer, one for the crowd, one for you. 

If it does give a warm, natural, wide-open sound in a small/medium sized venue it’s well worth £675 

Edited by headofire

Btw.. I got mine from Laurence Blackadder AI’s UK importer.

[email protected]

Absolutely brilliant guy to deal with. Example, he responded to a tyre kicking email on a Sunday night at 9pm. He originally said end of the month, felt confident going ahead untried and bought one. I got an email saying Friday, then one saying shipment came early from the states so despite being in hospital all day today my cabinet made it out for delivery two days early and will arrive tomorrow. 

Amazing service. £30 cheaper than using Gollihur on the days exchange rate. 

Looking forward to having a go. I’ll try to get some video up ASAP

• Like 1

I’m intrigued.  Do you think the 10s are wired out of phase, so when one cone is going out, the other is going in?  That way they’d be working in unison pushing at the air around the cab?  If they were wired in phase, they’d both push out at the same time, but that couldn’t be as efficient as the cones would be fighting each other air pressure wise inside the cab?

That’s what I thought, cant see how it would work otherwise. Clever..simple. Better be good 🤣

If they were wired that way they'd cancel each other. There's no more fighting each other air pressure wise in the cab than two drivers facing the same direction do.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 24/06/2019 at 14:45, headofire said:

Well, we’ll see on Friday when it turns up I suppose. I’m realistic about useable volume from something that size. I think the power handling isn’t especially realistic. I’m hoping for a little deeper bass response and a more open sound than my cmd121p gives me. The Barefaced 10s were great for that but I needed two compared to the combo. 

Hey, it weighs 6.8 kilograms and goes in a Tom case. Also has a mid/monitor speaker pointing right at you. One speaker for the drummer, one for the crowd, one for you. 

If it does give a warm, natural, wide-open sound in a small/medium sized venue it’s well worth £675 

Did it arrive safely yesterday? If so, definitely looking forward to getting your first impressions on this cab.

Edited by Al Krow

The cab does it’s job brilliantly. I think it’s fantastic, it’s a huge open sound for upright. It takes a lot on the volume knob and you can be fooled for thinking it’s not as efficient as a standard cabinet design. When I swapped over to the EA 210 I expected a big difference but in the room I was in it was more a difference in the spread than volume. I’m using a Demeter head, I slightly foolishly sold the Acoustic Image head I had to buy the cab. So here’s the thing.. to get the big volume you really want to have a head with a HPF to cut out unnecessary sub. My head is putting out everything so there’s a point where a resonance stands to creep in as you go louder. Swapped to a preamp with the sub filter and there it was a huge sound. 

Ok it doesn’t rock your socks of like the EA NL210 but it goes happily in a larger backpack. 

Its one of the better cabs I’ve used for upright. It’s very natural, though I suspect not particularly flat response but it it’s a specific cab for an upright player to sound wide in a much bigger room than a barefaced one10 would. A pair of those would however be a better sound for electric bass, by quite a long way. I know as I’ve just sold a pair. I think that video posted above is perfectly accurate in what it does. Watch the sub and it’s LOUD. 

The rub for me is it doesn’t give me an electric bass sound that I like. That’s still a bit of a question mark for me. 

I have a markbass CMD121P with the amp removed and turned into a speaker cabinet. I upgraded the tweeter and crossover. It sounds very different to the ny121 cabs and for me it’s the best all round thing I’ve found and it’s only a few kilos heavier. It’s not as natural for upright but it still sounds great. 

If you’re an upright or fretless player or want a super neutral sound for electric AND you own something with a HPF (to control the low low frequencies that trouble the speakers and you don’t hear) then get one it’s class. EA and Acoustic Image heads have these built in. 

If your doubling up on electric you want to try one before you buy. That’s all I’m saying.. you may love it. I like a pretty upfront P bass noise with a lot of bass so it’s not made to do that though it gives it a really good go. It weighs less that a ukulele and goes in a backpack. I’d say it would be amazing for any acoustic instrument 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good review, thanks! 

In terms of HPF, you could potentially sort that with a dedicated HPF pedal such as the Thumpinator or on a multifx i.e. you don't specifically need it in your amp head?

Be interesting to see if, with HPF, it gets you the electric bass sound you want. I personally don't have any issues with an uncoloured cab, provided it has excellent clarity and articulation and, of course,  gets you heard!  

Going a little off-topic, there are plenty of options for 'colouring' tone in your signal chain. Which leads me to start wondering whether a Tech 21 Q\Strip may in fact be just the ticket for you? It has both HPF and a much admired pre-amp. Here's a review of said pedal from our very own Dood...

Edited by Al Krow

I’m sure some folks will love it for electric. I really wanted to, the Demeter is like a class D fender Bassman it’s not ideally suited to the doubleshot. I did of course try it with the sub rolled off on a few electrics through a headway preamp but it’s getting away from what I want to use onstage. I set the filter to about 70/80 Hz and you really don’t notice any less bass and that’s all it takes. You can do that on some eqs or on lots of different gizmos really. 

Thing is, for me the customised 121p does it all really well, one cable, straight in without a preamp and is only a little bigger.

The acoustic Image is possibly more refined and mimics a bass in a room, the spread of sound is a really, really neat trick. Bass comes from everywhere, natural and powerful. 

• Like 1

You really should only use one Pre amp to keep things clear. For upright I’ll use the headway bass Preamp into the effects loop, electric bass into the front of the Demeter. Take The Doubleshot for upright only gigs, which is most of what I do. 

• Like 1