Why become a member? ×

How far does your bass geekery go?

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Think that says it all Dood. The ultimate bass geek :laugh1:

A good friend of mine asked me once what other hobbies I have aside from playing bass. The silence afterward was deafening 😂 (True story!)

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

I bet we'd find you've got a hex core if we took a cross section through you.

Oh, now see, you're demonstrating some impressive bass geekism there! I used to just say that my insides look like a stick of Brighton Rock, just saying bass down the middle.. Hex Core Spine? Now that sums it up better! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dood said:

Oh, now see, you're demonstrating some impressive bass geekism there! I used to just say that my insides look like a stick of Brighton Rock, just saying bass down the middle.. Hex Core Spine? Now that sums it up better! 

And this one from @SpondonBassed above has got to be one for the quotes thread.. just because..well.. I said so he he he!!

Edited by Dood
  • Thanks 1

The older I get, the less geeky I am over anything really. Never been one for altering / upgrading basses unless really necessary, although always like to keep them in good clean working order. Bit fussy about looking after all my kit, but only to a point. Don’t have bass related t-shirts , although some Fender apparel still in my wardrobe. Still enjoy this site along with music mags, and attend a few guitar shows when I can. Always check out a band’s set up when I go to gigs, particularly the bass rig ( so damn those IEM users....😉) and derive a lot of pleasure hearing a nice old bass played well through a proper amp.

5 hours ago, Dood said:

Your human skin is like an Elixir exterior string wrap keeping the middle (relatively) fresh... oh and your hair is like the fraying end silk of a flat wound string lol (all meant in the nicest way possible of course)

• Haha 2

How far does your bass geekery go?

I check out about 7 different bass sites on a regular basis. Just to keep abreast of developments and I trawl Youtube for great bass playing, but that's it.

At home my basses live in their cases unless I'm working up a set for a gig.

The living room contains 7 basses hanging on the wall and another couple in cases. And I have a bass and a guitar with me on holiday. As for Marillion inspiration, I already had a Warwick JD Thumb, but I did get a strap the same as his and a Cort GB4 which is identical (apart from the colour of the logo) to the GB94 he used for a few years.

I live in a tiny flat which is more or less all music room. I make a point of playing all my basses (4 electric, 2 acoustic, all out on floor stands) often enough that they don't need too much dusting, and change strings as often as I fancy trying a new type of strings, which is fairly often. I've resisted getting too geeky about details though - I don't know much about bass guitars but I know what I like 🙂 

Edited by josie
  • Like 1

My semi-acoustic bass lives within reach of my dining room chair, so I can practice between courses.  As well as regularly cleaning the strings and frets,  I polish all my basses' and guitars' bodies with a decent car wax, as I’m also a bit (a lot) nerdy/OTT about detailing my cars.

17 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I might get me a pair of those fancy drummer's gloves as well... 😃

We once auditioned a drummer who not only had the fancy drummers gloves, but special fancy drummers shoes.   On seeing this, the guitarist muttered to me; "this guy will either be amazing, or totally shite"     Guess which he was......

Back to OP - 17 basses, but the slightly worrying thing is that I have a different strap for each one o.O

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, police squad said:

My only real geek thing is the Police tribute. Correct outfits that match the bass of choice on the day.

But i have a picture of Sting with his natural, maple boarded Fender fretless, with a fender strap that is upside down. I make sure my strap is also upside down

I have a very similar bass minus the fretless maple board. One day I will get a fretless maple board for mine.

1 hour ago, bazzbass said:

So the Ric stays in it's case ? 😂

If I had a Ric, it would have to stay upstairs. i had a copy, that had to. She hates them. And anything that is mostly brown (unless it is just wood). The one she hated most was a butterscotch telecaster, that wasn't allowed there and an ibanez ATK. The Wenge and spalted poplar ibanezes are allowed. She doesn't like my new Gibson 'the Paul' which has been refinished in brown. Anything traditionally* sunburst or orange also wouldn't stand a chance.

* I say traditional - My Maruschyk which is a red to black burst she finds the nicest looking of all my basses and is most welcome there.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, chris_b said:

At home my basses live in their cases unless I'm working up a set for a gig.

Me too. Not sure about having lots of instruments on show TBH, much as I love 'em. Maybe just one every now and then though - my recently acquired cherry Gibson 335 being the current favourite.

16 hours ago, ped said:

Your human skin is like an Elixir exterior string wrap keeping the middle (relatively) fresh... oh and your hair is like the fraying end silk of a flat wound string lol (all meant in the nicest way possible of course)

😂

On 14/06/2019 at 14:30, casapete said:

my recently acquired cherry Gibson 335 being the current favourite.

Our guitarist has just bought one of those last week and put a Bigsby trem on it. Bringing it to rehearsals tomorrow to see how it sounds before gigging with it.

Dave

• Like 1

I've got a few instruments around my place, and others that are "out on loan" to friends and family. All completely justified - they're in no way an indulgence! Hahaha 

However many basses / guitars you have, there's always a hankering after "the next one". 

As for tweaking the instruments, I adjust the truss rods when required (usually due to the summer and winter climate differences), and clean the fingerboard each time I change the strings. 

Does anyone else do the "clean the dust out from under the strings" thing on a regular basis? - where you use a cloth to wipe away the dust on the scratchplate / body under the strings area? 

IMG_20190416_090303.jpg

IMG_20190110_004925.jpg

Screenshot_20190407_194735.jpg

20141015_122249.JPG

8233f983.JPG

20160710_121527-1800x1350.jpg

20180909_220229.jpg

20171021_081214.jpg

FB_IMG_1481668873193.jpg

FB_IMG_1549180120775.jpg

IMG_20181027_152930_209.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay