Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Mag - Joe Dart Edition

BassApprentice

For fans of Joe Dart. 

He's on the cover of Bass Guitar Mag and there's a special edition that comes with a Joe Dart t-shirt https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/music/bass-guitar-back-issues/bass-guitar-170-joe-dart-t-shirt-bundle/

I would be all over this but the t-shirt is a LARGE ONLY so no use to me. Might be useful to others! 

T shirt is a nice touch, can’t see it does any harm. I still wear a 15 year old Star Trek t shirt - that’s genuinely sad.

What I don’t get is the Joe Dart love. Seems like a pretty simple and obvious pastiche of 70/ funk stuff to me. Technically it’s ok, but it’s emotionally dead (to me, obviously not everyone!)

19 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

T shirt is a nice touch, can’t see it does any harm. I still wear a 15 year old Star Trek t shirt - that’s genuinely sad.

What I don’t get is the Joe Dart love. Seems like a pretty simple and obvious pastiche of 70/ funk stuff to me. Technically it’s ok, but it’s emotionally dead (to me, obviously not everyone!)

I must admit the music leaves me a bit cold, too. I love funky playing but it’s like Vulf try and be SO retro/hipster that it puts me off. That and he’s better than me and that’s not fair. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, ped said:

I must admit the music leaves me a bit cold, too. I love funky playing but it’s like Vulf try and be SO retro/hipster that it puts me off. That and he’s better than me and that’s not fair. 

Nicely put. I’m not too-cool-for-school and can really appreciate the technical side of it, just emotionally doesn’t hit me. If he’s inspiring people to play (and isn’t Flea) then good for him, and for all bass players.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Nicely put. I’m not too-cool-for-school and can really appreciate the technical side of it, just emotionally doesn’t hit me. If he’s inspiring people to play (and isn’t Flea) then good for him, and for all bass players.

I find a lot of modern 'Funk' like that. I recently found a list of the top 20 funk albums of 2018 and nearly all of them have low-fi recording technique to make it sound 'funky' - which of course does the opposite.

7 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Because we enjoy sharing the things we love with others. Its a basic part of human life. 

Yeah, I agree - stirring music, the joys of family and friends, the rugged beauty of the Scottish Lochs, and a t-shirt with the words 'Joe Dart' printed on the front.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

I find a lot of modern 'Funk' like that. I recently found a list of the top 20 funk albums of 2018 and nearly all of them have low-fi recording technique to make it sound 'funky' - which of course does the opposite.

Agreed. It’s technically great, but like much modern jazz, it’s pretty emotionless and just seems like a pastiche of a ‘better’ age. Not sure if you’ve ever listened to library music (the sort of incidental stuff licensed by filmmakers etc), it sounds very much like that to me.

I do actually quite like some of Vulf guitarist Theo Katzman’s solo stuff. 

31 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Agreed. It’s technically great, but like much modern jazz, it’s pretty emotionless and just seems like a pastiche of a ‘better’ age. Not sure if you’ve ever listened to library music (the sort of incidental stuff licensed by filmmakers etc), it sounds very much like that to me.

I do actually quite like some of Vulf guitarist Theo Katzman’s solo stuff. 

Yes, in fact I’ve played/recorded a fair bit of library music over the years (dad worked in TV). Fun to play but I accept probably not that fun to listen to! Again I do really like some Vulf and I’ve only heard some of the instrumental pieces so I’m not talking about them specifically. I’ll try and find that link. Among the bands there was one really modern and hifi sounding band who were great, I haven’t fully delved into them yet so will need to dig it out again anyway. 

I just can’t wear T shirts with stuff written in them any more. Suddenly just don’t like it! I’d rather people saw me as a blank canvas of mystery and intrigue. Which brings me to another point, why on earth would someone pay well over the odds for a shirt with SUPERDRY JAPAN 🇯🇵 on it?! The mind boggles 

• Like 1

70s classic funk is one of my fave genres but  for me none of these current so-called funk bands cut it. They may have the technical chops but none that I've come across have that swing. I remember there used to be a bit of a mini hype about The Bamboos. I listened to their debut album but it's just soulless swing -free pastiche of the Tower of Power sound. Ditto Vulfpeck, The Internet, Quantic Soul Orchestra, Snarky Puppy etc.