Why become a member? ×

J bass p'ups for MIDS

Soledad

On 26/06/2019 at 08:29, Soledad said:

btw, anyone know how the CS Pastorius Jazz is wired?

Owning one, it's wired the old way, with two SINGLE coils pickups, two volumes, a tone and a capacitor, nothing else. If you want that Jaco sound, put some CS Fender Jazz Bass SINGLE coils pickups or try the French HepCat Jazz Bass '62 SINGLE coils pickups, which are terrific : http://hepcatpickups.com/produit/jazz-bass-62/.

And don't forget this dirty cheap little preamp pedal to get that Acoustic 360 +361 tone http://www.one-control.com/blue-360-bass-preamp.html

You can find it here : https://www.thomann.de/gb/one_control_blue_360_bass_preamp.htm

You can even add the Rotosound RS66LD strings to be complete without forgetting the epoxy treated fingerboard. 

By the way, SINGLE coils are not noisy when you have a real shielding done and are the only pickups that will give that mid growl and mwah by simply cutting the tone, using the bridge pickup and boosting the mids on your amp. An 18 inches speaker, yes 18", helps a lot too, just like a thick Brazilian rosewood fingerboard...

Good luck with your quest. 😉

• Thanks 1

Only just picked up on this.  One other factor to check carefully, @Soledad , based on your original assertion that you didn't want any mods, are the pickup sizes and lug positioning.

There is - as many of us here have found to our bafflement and frustration - no such thing as a standard size for Jazz pickups.  Even Fenders own vary.  And many pickup suppliers do not provide the dimensions - especially Fender.

The key dimensions you HAVE to check against the stock pickups in the bass you have / get is length, width and distance of lug screw centres from the centre of each pickup.

It's a bit of a pain...but nowhere near the pain of getting a set of replacement pickups expecting them to drop in and finding they don't ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd say the series wiring is well worth a try - in fact Fender did this themselves with the short-lived S1 switching. I had one, and liked it*

* Tho as I'm not a fan of bridge pickup burp or both-pickups scoop, I guess I would...

• Like 1

Lot of good info gathering here I think, particularly for Jazz owners.

@Hellzero - wasn't particularly trying to get Jaco exactly so emulating the legendary 360/61 is not aprt of my mission here, I just wondered what the Fender CS did on that one. Re single coils, my CS '64 p'ups on the fretted Jazz are single coil I believe?
My aim was really just to explore getting more mid-range from a Jazz to give me more signal to shape in the head pre-amp, but broadly I reckon the mids are really important on a fretless. I choose the Jazz as the basis because it fits me and I know my way around them (relative to other basses let's say).I also expect a certain firmness to its acoustic sound that is a thing I want. My Mayo fretless has La Bella nylons on and is a softer woodier sound not suited to drums and 2 guitars 'at it'.

@Andyjr1515 - very important point re pup sizing. I've been lucky so far, my one swap was to CS '64s and they did drop straight in, but I'll know to check carefully.

Still looking for the bass, it must be un-lined, would consider a decent  bitsa.

@Soledad I'll make you a photo, this evening, of the back of the control plate of my Fender Jazz Bass Jaco Pastorius Relic Custom Shop, so you'll see what is inside. When I'll change the strings, I'll do the same for the pickups, but you'll have to wait a bit more. 😉

2 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

@Soledad I'll make you a photo, this evening, of the back of the control plate of my Fender Jazz Bass Jaco Pastorius Relic Custom Shop, so you'll see what is inside. When I'll change the strings, I'll do the same for the pickups, but you'll have to wait a bit more. 😉

TOP bloke - what a fine place this is 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soledad said:

Thanks @Hellzero - I need to get inside my std USA Jazz to see differences, I'm not very up on the wiry bits😉

This thread does make me wonder about doing the series parallel mod on my std fretted one.

If I liked Jazz Basses, I'd do it to all of mine.  Great mod on Jazzes, not so much on Precisions.