Why become a member? ×

Running a 6x10 and an 8x10 together

Bobby D

If I was in the PA anyway there is no way I could ever be arsed to carry big cabs around.

Life is too short to be lugging 8x10s about. My little Barefaced One10s are perfect for stage monitoring

I'd probably take the fosters though - maybe hang up a poster of the 8x10s on my side.

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Maybe he wouldn't need a seriously heavy wheeled flight case for an empty cab...hey presto, another 75lbs saved... 😉

If I was going have dummy cabs on stage I'd have made out of light-weight materials and constructed so that they folded flat for transport.

26 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

If I was in the PA anyway there is no way I could ever be arsed to carry big cabs around.

Life is too short to be lugging 8x10s about. My little Barefaced One10s are perfect for stage monitoring

I'd probably take the fosters though - maybe hang up a poster of the 8x10s on my side.

Get one of those pull-up banners with a SVT and 8x10 printed on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

@Bobby D I love the idea of lying them down and stacking them. Damn that would be so cool.

I tip my hat to you sir, a man after my own heart. 

And completely pointless from a sound PoV. 

IME as soon as you are playing on stages/venues big enough to have the room for this kind of rig the foldback system will be far more effective for hearing yourself than your rig, unless your default stage position is to be stood a couple of feet in front of it and you never ever move from this spot.

23 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

And completely pointless from a sound PoV. 

IME as soon as you are playing on stages/venues big enough to have the room for this kind of rig the foldback system will be far more effective for hearing yourself than your rig, unless your default stage position is to be stood a couple of feet in front of it and you never ever move from this spot.

Yeah that isn't the point though, not on this thread. 

• Like 1

There is a quite brilliant AC/DC 'Rig Rundown' video showing the set up. The thing that really surprised me was that Angus Young's wall of Marshalls are not dummy cabs, they are all fully loaded cabs being driven by a fleet of Marshall amps that are being run at deliberately off-bias. The techs are constantly swapping in and out amps as they break. 

I suppose if you can do it, do it! Practicality be damned. 

• Like 1

Just now, thodrik said:

There is a quite brilliant AC/DC 'Rig Rundown' video showing the set up. The thing that really surprised me was that Angus Young's wall of Marshalls are not dummy cabs, they are all fully loaded cabs being driven by a fleet of Marshall amps that are being run at deliberately off-bias. The techs are constantly swapping in and out amps as they break. 

I like you Thodrick 🤘

7 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Yeah brilliant!!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/hear-brian-johnson-talk-hearing-loss-ive-had-a-pretty-good-run-175587/

“I was getting worried because my right ear is my good ear,” Johnson said. “My left ear is just about totally deaf. And when we got there, that’s when Dr. Chang found out that the fluids had crystalized and had been eating away at my ear. So my good ear, I lost – I don’t know what percentage but it was enough to make things very difficult. So they worked on me.”

Edited by EBS_freak

3 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Yeah brilliant!!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/hear-brian-johnson-talk-hearing-loss-ive-had-a-pretty-good-run-175587/

“I was getting worried because my right ear is my good ear,” Johnson said. “My left ear is just about totally deaf. And when we got there, that’s when Dr. Chang found out that the fluids had crystalized and had been eating away at my ear. So my good ear, I lost – I don’t know what percentage but it was enough to make things very difficult. So they worked on me.”

He's coming back though!! Also he is 71. My grandad was deaf in his 60's and the loudest music he ever listened to was an old am radio on the kitchen windowsill.

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

AFAICS none of the those AC/DC bass cabs are mic'd up so their contribution to the FoH sound (and that's the important bit of the band sound) is zero.

The contribution to the visual impact and the sheer silliness of it though is considerable. 

Edited by Bobby D
  • Like 1

I think the answer is in the question. If you decide to go ahead it would be fun to try. If you have both cabs and an amp happy to drive into 2ohms, why wouldn't you try it out? If the cabs both have identical drivers then the sound won't be that different, you'll lose a little of the mid/highs off axis but you've already lost a little by using an 8x10 so it probably won't be a dramatic change. If you mix cabs with different drivers in then the sound outcome is less predictable, you may like it more or maybe less. I'd think volume won't be an issue anyway other than the possibility of damage to your hearing, I don't suppose you ever drive your 8x10 flat out, but of course you are going to try it :)

Buying a 6x10 as a smaller rig is 'interesting'. The footprint on stage is going to be the same and it's only a small saving in weight. If you want to buy just to have the look of a vast rig or because you really do want more volume then another matching 8 would be a better bet if you are planning to use the two cabs together a lot but that's a personal choice of course.

If we are honest most of us will try bass through every cab that passes our way given half a chance. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Yeah brilliant!!

I didn’t say it was practical or good for your health. Also, he is 71 and has been singing in bands for decades, well before the development of sophisticated in ears and modern monitoring systems. It is hardly surprising, especially considering his other hobby is racing sports cars!

I think it is brilliant in the sense that I am interested in seeing a band still tour with a backline set up that is completely antiquated to modern set ups. I don’t think that we will ever see a band tour with that kind of set up again. It is like watching a piece of history.