Why become a member? ×

Shielding a noisy P

Pow_22

Have been doing some recording recently with my 1978 Tokai P bass with flatwounds plugged directly into my 1966 Ampeg SB12.  This amp (coupled with being sat in close proximity to it) seems to have really highlighted a shielding issue with my bass.  The usual hum/buzz that disappears whenever any metal component on the bass is touch.

I have figured I need an hour or so to gut the bass and copper tape the internal cavity as well as the underside of the pickguard to get a more silent axe.  However, the question I have is that currently I have an earth wire running from the underside of the bridge to the pots.  Some suggestions ive seen suggest id should, instead, run an earth wire from the pot to an eyelet screwed into the newly shielded cavity bottom.  Is this a preferable/more effective way that using the bridge as a ground point?

As part of the work I also plan to fit a new harness as the volume pot is a tad scratchy.  Being an old jap bass the cavity is tight to say the least so full size pots are probably out the question (I don’t want to start routing!) so will probably look to build a new harness from mini CTS pots or such like.

Any further hints/tips on shielding very much appreciated