Why become a member? ×

Lightweight basses under 6lbs?

hooky_lowdown

I am currently tempted by this Danelectro - the single cut 56 bass, which is short scale and very lightweight.  Not as, ahem, 'distinctive' as the Longhorn.  At the moment Amazon have it listed for pre-order, currently out of stock, at a stupid low price of £232.40 compared to the rest of the bunch at c£450.

I'm in a similar boat with back issues.

Seriously looking at an Ibanez TMB30. I've not seen any weight for these, but I'd guess they'd be in the same ballpark as the Mikro.

However it has a fairly decent size pickguard. Ample opportunity to route out some excess wood and reduce the weight ...

At about £150 delivered and well reviewed, it's a fair punt.

5 minutes ago, John Cribbin said:

I'm in a similar boat with back issues.

Seriously looking at an Ibanez TMB30. I've not seen any weight for these, but I'd guess they'd be in the same ballpark as the Mikro.

However it has a fairly decent size pickguard. Ample opportunity to route out some excess wood and reduce the weight ...

At about £150 delivered and well reviewed, it's a fair punt.

Do a BC search for the weight, they are 3.3kg. 

Routing bodies won't reduce weight by as much as you think!

I asked Adertons about asking Fender for a run of medium scale Ps, this was the reply,

Unfortunately we cannot control what Fender produces, as we just retail their products.

However, if you did want a medium scale P-Bass, this would be something that the custom shop could fulfil – unfortunately not at the middle price point!

so basically go Custom shop if you don't want standard

Edited by Aidan63
formatting

1 hour ago, Aidan63 said:

I asked Adertons about asking Fender for a run of medium scale Ps, this was the reply,

Unfortunately we cannot control what Fender produces, as we just retail their products.

However, if you did want a medium scale P-Bass, this would be something that the custom shop could fulfil – unfortunately not at the middle price point!

so basically go Custom shop if you don't want standard

????????

Wrong thread my friend. Just for the record, I don't like medium scale!

On 11/06/2019 at 20:14, AndyTravis said:

0A8272DC-9996-4F3B-9B5A-6B864421488D.thumb.jpeg.f2cf532f2d5c4529581c39f2f3e5bbd1.jpeg

Cant believe it’s actually under 7lbs. Thought it was about 7.5lbs

I can only apologise for living in the boonies, what bass is it?

Another lightweight option, Gibson SG bass, 7.8lb allegedly.  Not weighed mine but I have fitted Hipshot bridge and machines which will have saved some mass.  It is the lightest and most resonant bace I own :)

2 minutes ago, 3below said:

I can only apologise for living in the boonies, what bass is it?

Another lightweight option, Gibson SG bass, 7.8lb allegedly.  Not weighed mine but I have fitted Hipshot bridge and machines which will have saved some mass.  It is the lightest and most resonant bace I own :)

You clearly didn't read the original post. Doh!

Anyway, it's a Stu Hamm Urge.

5 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

You clearly didn't read the original post. Doh!

Anyway, it's a Stu Hamm Urge.

Apols, however I did read the original and appreciate it is > 6 lb and short scale, however just thought in a thread looking for lightweight basses it might be of interest to others :)  Fully appreciate it does not help with your quest. Thanks for the Stu Hamm bass info :) 

Edited by 3below

I have a Tanglewood copy of the Hofner violin bass that weighs in at 2.63Kg (5.80Ib) and an Italia Cavo bass that tips the scales at 3.31Kg (7.46Ib).  They are both short scale and have hollow or semi-hollow bodies.  I have back problems and find the Italia is about as heavy as I can cope with.  The Tanglewood RVB-2 was bought about 12 years ago for under £200 including a very good hard case.  If weight really is an issue the violin basses are worth considering.  Not everyone likes the look of them but I do!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hooky_lowdown said:

My OP had a weight and price limit.

Yes, I remember that - but this thread may serve someone else later on. A "complete" list would not be bad. And some people have a very different idea of low cost levels (although I think I am on your side).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, itu said:

Yes, I remember that - but this thread may serve someone else later on. A "complete" list would not be bad. And some people have a very different idea of low cost levels (although I think I am on your side).

There are other threads about lightweight basses here and elsewhere. Therefore a thread about basses under 6lbs is something different and would benefit people, but with people going off topic renders the thread not helpful to me nor anyone else.

• Thanks 1

Dano Longhorn shortie, I'll check later but sure mine comes in at the 6lb or less end of the scale (very light compared to my Mustangs).  Looks aren't to everyone's taste but the body does help cut down on neck dive which can be an affliction on lightweight basses (and to me renders lightweight basses more uncomfortable than their well-balance heavier cousins).  Shameless plug...there's one for sale in the FS section at a very reasonable price....

It's well outside the price range, and therefore not the solution being looked for, but there is a guitar maker in Cambridge with a lightweight (6.5lb) Precision-esque model on his website - so it is possible to get a good sounding (sic) 34" scale length bass very close to the target weight - http://www.rees-electric-guitars.com/F-Light2016.html

It looks like the body is small with the bridge right up by the rear strap button, but it isn't quite 'travel guitar' small and definitely not a toy. I do have one of those Anygig https://www.anygigguitar.com/model/anygig/anygig-agb.html basses which is ~3.5lbs but it's practically unusable. Having no bodywork at all presents all kinds of ergonomic problems, and the sound from the piezo pickup is (to me at least) unacceptable for anything beyond practicing at home.

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

It’s in Cardiff now, wasn’t for me

Ah, shame. I nearly picked up one of the original full-fat Urge's for under £600 a few years back, tried it, ummd and ahh (wasn't sure about the E) and someone beat me to it. 

Edited by 4000

Guest ixlramp

'lbs'? This is a UK forum 😃

Anyway, if you have back problems, removing a small proportion of the weight (which is all you'll be able to do) is not enough and your health is more important. I suggest either playing sitting, using a stand, a spike or a hip strap.

Edited by ixlramp