Why become a member? ×

Auditioning a new band member - Behaviour tips for our side of the process

NoRhino

Tonight and next Wednesday we are auditioning two people to fill an upcoming vacancy of lead singer.  The band is well established and tightly rehearsed from years of regular live work.

I'm interested in your opinions on what will make these auditions go well, make the auditionees feel at ease and help us choose the right person in the end,

The auditions will be in a studio and we've sent each a set list in advance plus links to live performances on tubeface.

Thanks

Edited by NoRhino

The very fact you've posted this question shows what a thoughtful and considerate bunch of guys you must be.

You obviously deserve a decent singer, and I hope you're not disappointed. You'll usually have some idea if someone's going to be the right fit within a few minutes of their arrival -  before they've even started singing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've auditioned loads of singers over the years, and here is what I know to be true:

• They won't have learned most of the songs you've sent them, no matter how long they've had to learn them.  Some will only have learned one song.  And they will sing over the guitar solo
  • A good amount of them will simply not be able to sing
  • A good amount of them will never have sung with a band before and regardless of the quality of their voice they will not be able to cope and make themselves heard.  X factor et al have a lot to answer for

Assuming you can get past that and find people who can sing in tune, the best attitude I've found is to remember that they are auditioning you as much as you are auditioning them.  Let them know exactly what it is you're looking for - do they need to bring a lot of showmanship or are you just happy to get a great singer?  And don't be d#cks

One tip I would add is to try and tape the audition - doesn't need to be very professional, even just setting a phone down and recording from that might do.  That way you can concentrate on playing when they audition, not on trying to listen to them.  I've certainly had people try out who seemed much better or worse in the studio than they were when we listened back to the tape

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A very interesting post. From experience auditioning for new band members is a real challenge, apart from ability to play and perform the 'yes or no' decision to hire also needs to take into account the personality impact of the individual you are looking to recruit. Lead singers need big personalities to front bands so this needs to be accepted by the band members and a new recruit can cause the 'status quo' of a long time band to suffer. We recently recruited a new member for our band as our guitarist was moving away. As a band we had been a real solid five piece for about 6 years with same personnel. We auditioned for players and at the end had to decide by vote as to who we were going to select. Not everyone agreed on the choice. Our new guitarist is a fantastic player but it took quite some time for him to adjust to us as a unit and us to him. Our performance dropped but is now returning to the level at which we want it to be as a band. All of us underestimated the effect of a new member joining and the difference it makes to the unit as a whole. All existing members need to adjust to the newbie and at the same time in the early stages do not be afraid to challenge something that is not working in terms of performance. Its better to get it out on the table at rehearsal rather than during the gig. Once you have auditioned potentials it is best to have a band meeting with no instruments and discuss pros and cons across the table. Good luck with the auditions.

Edited by CJBassman64
  • Thanks 1

I've never personally auditioned anyone for a band but for me it helps if everyone relaxes and tries to behave as normal as possible. We record every rehearsal these days so that's a great idea to record the audition.

The best auditions i've done have been the ones where the guys just played and acted as if i had been a member for years. I was relaxed and able to just play without nerves. I enjoyed it and i've only failed one audition in 40+ yrs.  In that atmosphere you'll see the true person or as close as possible in a short period of time.

Sometimes a 2nd audition is a good idea as once again everyone is a little more themselves and that initial worry or concern has eased a bit.

Sorry i cant be any more help 

Dave 

• Thanks 1

Having auditioned various band members over the years, singers have been the most...polarising, I'd say. The bad ones can be really, really, clenchy; the good news is you'll know pretty much straight away*. A relaxed atmosphere is always the best, just another rehearsal kinda vibe.

If you're looking for a frontman, though, I'd be looking to see that from the word go: if the prospective singer can't do it in front of you, he's (or she's) gonna struggle in front of a room full of strangers at a gig. Conversely, if it's range and quality of voice you're after, then a little shoegazing can be overlooked.

* A pal of mine still drags out an audition tape from years ago for laughs, whereon a chap had turned up with a strong Irish accent, a rather high-pitched register bordering on Squeaky, and a constant sliding vibrato like someone playing a musical saw...his rendition of 'Triller' by Michael Jackson has quite literally to be heard to be believed.

Edited by Muzz
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Be yourselves at least then they know what to expect. Nothing worse than been false, it's always a bit awkward for both parties, if it goes well compliment the individual, if it doesn't just be as diplomatic as possible without been rude, good luck.

• Thanks 1

Expect the unexpected, and try and remain professional and courteous at all times, even if what you're witnessing is bordering on the painful...!

A wee story from a previous band I was in from 4 or 5 years ago when we advertised for a singer and got some very, very bizarre auditionees...the most memorable being one woman in particular who, via email communication, appeared exactly what we were looking for, but turned out to be as mad as a box of frogs...!

We agreed a date to get her in the studio so sent her a few song titles to get started...the alarm bells should have sounded when she specifically asked if we could do Stevie Nicks, "Edge of Seventeen"...on her turning up, there was an immediate and obvious influence there...the flouncy black clothes for one and the overall general hippy exterior she exhibited...which certainly isn't a negative one if you can actually pull it off...

The audition started...and so did Stevie...the singing was, well, incredibly "pitchy" I think the "talent" shows today kindly put it...it was actually God awful...but it was the stage histrionics which really done it for us...the down on her knees...the praying hands...the flouncing of her cape (!)...and I'm ashamed to admit, that me and the guitarist standing opposite each other locked eyes and basically lost it...we were uncontrollable...it was just all too much and too surreal, someone who so obviously couldn't sing, but had so obviously put so much into her acting out of the role of Stevie Nicks...

Admittedly, this was all very unprofessional behaviour on our part, but we literally couldn't continue, we just got so out of control...

So, moral of the story, don't do as we did...remain cool, calm and collected at all times...even if the audition is an immediate and obvious no-go from the off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Apart from the obvious musical things its worth having a chat about the band away from playing songs .Stuff what maybe became and issue with the old singer .Gig amount,song input,whats expected of them work wise .etc 

Ive done bass auditions where they liked me but had no real plan going forward,then other very formal ones with stage presence,backing vocals,type of gear etc discussed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

my current band we met in Costa coffee at motorway services for a chat first. We hadn't met as a band before. We had an informal chat and we all just clicked. Enjoyed same kinds of music and had the same ideas on what we wanted from the band and what direction we wanted to go. We discussed some of the songs we thought would work for us even down to discussing how many gigs a month we wanted to do. 

Altho we had never met as a band we were all aware of each other in other bands so it came from word of mouth.

I found that a good experience and made the first rehearsal a bit more relaxed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

my current band we met in Costa coffee at motorway services for a chat first. We hadn't met as a band before. We had an informal chat and we all just clicked. Enjoyed same kinds of music and had the same ideas on what we wanted from the band and what direction we wanted to go. We discussed some of the songs we thought would work for us even down to discussing how many gigs a month we wanted to do. 

Altho we had never met as a band we were all aware of each other in other bands so it came from word of mouth.

I found that a good experience and made the first rehearsal a bit more relaxed

My band experiences have been largely the same - mates, or mates of mates, getting together to form a band.  I've never auditioned, I've always either put the band together or have been asked to join by people who have played with me in a previous band

The one downside is that you can sometimes get stuck with a band member who really isn't pulling their weight but nobody wants to sack them because they're a mate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lou24d53 said:

Expect the unexpected, and try and remain professional and courteous at all times, even if what you're witnessing is bordering on the painful...!

Try not to laugh out loud.  I speak from experience.  Which is ironic as most of my own auditions for bands have been pretty dreadful.

• Haha 2

Thanks to everyone for your input so far. Really interesting.

Tonight's chap has a track record of singing professionally in a different genre but likes our style and thinks he'll be able to fit. We haven't met him in person.  He has a better PA than we currently own. 

Next week's chap is very laid back and looks like he'd be a good focal point fronting a band. He knows the style inside out.  He doesn't have any equipment to bring to the table. We met him for coffee last week. 

Those aren't deal breakers but add interest to the choice to be made.

I was the new man auditioning for this band 5 years ago so I want to make it relaxed for our two possibles. 

Edited by NoRhino
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kirky said:

Try not to laugh out loud.  I speak from experience.  Which is ironic as most of my own auditions for bands have been pretty dreadful.

Unfortunately however, this is where we let ourselves down badly...uncontrollably badly...

Fortunately, however Stevie Nicks was actually so intensively wrapped up in her magical performance that she did remain pretty much oblivious to the sheer lack of band control in the room...which just added to the surreal experience... 

32 minutes ago, NoRhino said:

Thanks to everyone for your input so far. Really interesting.

Tonight's chap has a track record of singing professionally in a different genre but likes our style and thinks he'll be able to fit. We haven't met him in person.  He has a better PA than we currently own. 

Next week's chap is very laid back and looks like he'd be a good focal point fronting a band. He knows the style inside out.  He doesn't have any equipment to bring to the table. We met him for coffee last week. 

Those aren't deal breakers but add interest to the choice to be made.

I was the new man auditioning for this band 5 years ago so I want to make it relaxed for our two possibles. 

Ref tonights guy ,we did a start up band ,all good guys ,good players ,experience etc ,got on well immediately ,still mates but despite people saying they're happy doing this and that I find people struggle to change and it builds frustration .The moving away from the initial vision we all agreed to is what split us up .Not saying it cant work but worth a thought.Likewise I know plenty "singers" with no gear who talk a good game 

Don't let the better PA influence how he sings or behaves. That might be a bonus but try and focus solely on the person's ability  and how he at least tries to fit in. 

Does he chat away like old mates or is he reserved and quiet and is that a problem for you guys either way.

I've found that bands work better for me if we are all of a similar nature and attitude towards things. Our new keys player is different to the rest of us and has caused many problems because of his different outlook on playing. For him its solely money and made that clear from the outset. Because of that he didn't want to accept gigs less than £500 at all point blank refused to do them. 

Still waiting to see what comes out of that. I made my feelings clear to him what i thought but agreed the band sounded good and have since just kept it as a more professional approach more like a job, but still a job i enjoy. Rest of the band didn't want to voice an opinion but were forever talking behind his back because we had gigs already booked. 

Anyway good luck with the auditions and keep us posted on how you get on.

Dave

• Like 1

If he sings while reading the lyrics from his mobile phone, best drop him.

If he starts a song at the wrong speed and in the wrong style, and says "Oh, I was doing the Beyonce version", best drop him.

If he sings into the wrong end of a mic boom stand, best drop him.

If he starts searching the mixer for the Autotune function, best drop him.

If he has a persistent sniff, slightly glazed eyes, and strangely jerky movements, best drop him.

• Haha 2

As well as performance, there's things like whether they're involved with anything else, what frequency of gigging would they like to do, what sort of venue they want to play at, rehearsal frequency - as long as what they want to do is pretty close to what you want to do, there won't be any friction.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tauzero said:

As well as performance, there's things like whether they're involved with anything else, what frequency of gigging would they like to do, what sort of venue they want to play at, rehearsal frequency - as long as what they want to do is pretty close to what you want to do, there won't be any friction.

yes, talent and ability aside, this more than anything - are you all on the same page as regards what you all mean by "commitment"?  It's a major bugbear of mine, that you think "really committed" is one practice a week and as many gigs as you can get, somebody else is annoyed because they think it means three practices a week and doing tours, and somebody else thinks it means showing up whenever they don't have anything better to do

First candidate was, in our agreed opinion, out of his depth.  Came along with his own new mic and a chart telling him which harmonica to use for which key.  It was wrong and I tried to point that out to him nicely.  He could fit in with a big band crooner scenario but his rhythm and timing wasn't up to the mark. He saw our band as an opportunity to get into a scene and meet new people. 

Best quote of the hour was "My singing teacher can't teach me any more"

A reasonable guy and we thanked him for coming. 

Looking forward to next week when we see candidate #2