Why become a member? ×

No finish, yet the most playable of basses

JPJ

So since the turn of the year I have been having lessons at my local music school and I’m loving it. 

My tutor has a ‘jazz’ bass in the studio that he put together himself a few years ago from a new Fender body, and an older Fender neck. The neck has that lovely played in feel but the body, which was a straight out of the box unfinished replacement, feels just so tactile and ‘right’. I’m guessing it’s probably got a coat of factory sanding sealer on it, but that’s all. No shiny gloss finish or faked relic’ing, just the bumps and knocks you’d expect of a well played bass. Sound wise, it’s the most vibrant jazz I’ve played, but not in a nasty honky trebly way, just in a lovely musical way. Single notes ring out, chords sound massive but clean, and it really responds when you ‘dig in’. Perhaps this is the future, just unabashed naked wood?

On 10/06/2019 at 17:11, White Cloud said:

Can you share a pic with us? Sounds great, would love a gander!

Here you go, a quick snap from this mornings lesson 😎

IMG_5077.thumb.jpeg.b53269d259f06a76e5e9b93cd72e9e6d.jpeg

• Like 1

Sorry to disagree, if you handled the bass you would feel that it is quite rough. At best its got a sanding sealer on it, nothing more. There are a couple of shiney areas due to use (forearm contour, bottom edge where it sits on your leg)

You can have a rough as a bears backside finish even with gloss, that is purely down to the effort put into the wood first. It is completely irrelevant to the finish. If a surface is rough it won’t suddenly be smooth if you varnish it. That is 100% not unfinished wood.

• Like 1