Why become a member? ×

Floppy E string? You should worry. What's going on here?

solo4652

....and he's so much in his own little vanity bubble that he thinks it's a good idea to proudly display his "skills" on YouTube ?

I feel sorry for the poor bass - it's new master will physically abuse it daily until it no longer satisfies him, and then he'll seek a new plaything.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I like to think I have a healthy open attitude to music whilst, naturally, preferring some styles over others and I also like to think I can be encouraging to anyone keen enough to take up my favourite instrument.

But;

WHAT THE HELL HAVE I JUST WATCHED!!

Apologies, I didn't intend to shout

• Haha 2

Reminds me of a 15 year old me, bashing the crap out of my Axe bass through no name 30 watt amp in a vain effort to be heard alongside a guitarist going through a 50 watt Marshall.

I got through a lot of strings. I initially switched to finger style for mainly economic reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

....and he's so much in his own little vanity bubble that he thinks it's a good idea to proudly display his "skills" on YouTube ?

I feel sorry for the poor bass - it's new master will physically abuse it daily until it no longer satisfies him, and then he'll seek a new plaything.

It’s a short clip of some kid playing, perhaps I missed something, but I can’t for the life of me see where this sort of vitriol comes from or what it achieves?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

It’s a short clip of some kid playing, perhaps I missed something, but I can’t for the life of me see where this sort of vitriol comes from or what it achieves? 

Well, Burns-bass, it's not taking the p*** out of him, it's just puzzling to understand the motivations of how someone could be so unaware of their own performance skills.

It's not vitriol, and I certainly wouldn't diss the guy if he was just a young kid, which he clearly isn't.

And as I said, I mostly felt sorry for the bass.

• Like 1

I think the hardest thing is to make an honest assessment of your own playing. In the last few weeks two people have said exactly this to me, one a guitarist the other a bassist. I have no idea how my own playing measures up; I know I'm not completely crap and I'm certain I'm far from being a virtuoso. I don't think I've learned anything that gets rated as harder than 'intermediate' on the tab sites! I comfort myself by claiming to be 'competent'...

The truth is, 50% of bass players are below average!*  Beginners will always over-estimate their abilities - because that's true of human beings in almost any learning situation, but being below average doesn't mean you are crap, and its more important to encourage beginners than criticise them, not least because the right encouragement might see them become a virtuoso.

*ish.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Well, Burns-bass, it's not taking the p*** out of him, it's just puzzling to understand the motivations of how someone could be so unaware of their own performance skills.

It's not vitriol, and I certainly wouldn't diss the guy if he was just a young kid, which he clearly isn't.

And as I said, I mostly felt sorry for the bass.

Fair enough. When I originally read your comment it came across as spiteful and pointless. The guy makes no pretence in the video to be a rock god and thank goodness he’s not trying to play yet another slap bass solo like Flea or sub-Jaco noodle.

Seems the channel is for a guitar shop. This fella seems to have been given the task of showing off a metal bass and is doing a passable job.

Just seems the forum is getting more and more clogged up with finger pointing and negativity. Perhaps I’ve just for a thin skin these days, but he’s playing bass so well done to him!

• Like 4

Perhaps I should clarify:

I was scouring the web for information about the Fernandes PJ-45 bass when I stumbled across the video. I was immediately struck by the flopiness of the E string. I play short and medium scale basses, and there is often a debate about floppy strings with these scale lengths, and the need to maybe go up a gauge to compensate. My thinking was along the lines; "Blimey - I should worry about string tension - look at this...."

I suppose I was "finger pointing" - at the string tension, and how come it seemed so low. That's all. Thread title amended accordingly.

Steve

Edited by solo4652
  • Like 1

On 10/06/2019 at 18:37, Stub Mandrel said:

I think the hardest thing is to make an honest assessment of your own playing. In the last few weeks two people have said exactly this to me, one a guitarist the other a bassist. I have no idea how my own playing measures up; I know I'm not completely crap and I'm certain I'm far from being a virtuoso. I don't think I've learned anything that gets rated as harder than 'intermediate' on the tab sites! I comfort myself by claiming to be 'competent'...

The truth is, 50% of bass players are below average!*  Beginners will always over-estimate their abilities - because that's true of human beings in almost any learning situation, but being below average doesn't mean you are crap, and its more important to encourage beginners than criticise them, not least because the right encouragement might see them become a virtuoso.

*ish.

It's the Dunning-Kruger effect, and it's not just beginners who overestimate their own abilities. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

On 10/06/2019 at 22:19, neilp said:

I think the "floppiness" of the E string is an optical effect, probably something to do with interaction between the frequency of the notes and the frame rate of the video?

That's what I thought when I saw it too.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2019 at 22:19, neilp said:

I think the "floppiness" of the E string is an optical effect, probably something to do with interaction between the frequency of the notes and the frame rate of the video?

This. Next time you're on a turboprop plane take a look at the propeller blades through a phone/camera screen.