Why become a member? ×

New theory stuff that I am doing

EBS_freak

What's up Youtubers... (that's how it goes isn't it?).

Anyway, decided to add another pile of musical theory stuff out there onto the wider Internets... OK, it's not totally bass (will be coming in later episodes)... but I hope that people can take some stuff away from this. This is the first time that me and my mate Steve have ever done anything like this so be gentle.

Any feedback, subscriptions, likes or whatever happens in the world of Youtube would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy x 

Edited by EBS_freak

In my experience, people are very swift and forthcoming with negative feedback/complaints but much more reluctant to tell you when you're doing the right thing.

If that's the first one you've done, then you're off to a strong start - absolutely spot on in terms of camera work/lighting/titles and annotations, very 'current' in terms of production values.

The actual content is good, too, I can't fault the idea of getting people to focus on chord tones and think about what they're playing.

The only criticism is that some people might want a more thorough breakdown of some of the voicings/licks/concepts used, but the whole point of the video might well be a broad overview of ideas rather than getting bogged down in specifics - those who are less fluent in theory might want to take things at a slower pace.

• Thanks 1

Agree - you can't please everyone, but there was a lot in there and the style/production etc. were very watchable and informative. What little theory I do know has all been hard won, so I do watch videos like this in order to hopefully learn something... which I did!

Good work I say :-)

• Thanks 1

I thought it was great. Very professional but relaxed and informal. The teacher's personality came across well. He wasn't annoying (important!) and can clearly play a bit.

Looking forward to your bass efforts. Well done!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TKenrick said:

In my experience, people are very swift and forthcoming with negative feedback/complaints but much more reluctant to tell you when you're doing the right thing.

If that's the first one you've done, then you're off to a strong start - absolutely spot on in terms of camera work/lighting/titles and annotations, very 'current' in terms of production values.

The actual content is good, too, I can't fault the idea of getting people to focus on chord tones and think about what they're playing.

The only criticism is that some people might want a more thorough breakdown of some of the voicings/licks/concepts used, but the whole point of the video might well be a broad overview of ideas rather than getting bogged down in specifics - those who are less fluent in theory might want to take things at a slower pace.

Ah brilliant. Thanks for the info - the breakdown is something that we already thought of. Think we are going to go into further depth as you suggest. We always knew that this wasn’t the beginner piece but wanted to pitch the first one as something that would get people interested.

Great though - will get some ideas into the melting pot!

2 hours ago, b7l4s said:

Agree - you can't please everyone, but there was a lot in there and the style/production etc. were very watchable and informative. What little theory I do know has all been hard won, so I do watch videos like this in order to hopefully learn something... which I did!

Good work I say :-)

Thanks - glad you got something out of it. We will get some more ideas down and hopefully get something for everybody - but thanks for the feedback :-)

1 hour ago, stevie said:

I thought it was great. Very professional but relaxed and informal. The teacher's personality came across well. He wasn't annoying (important!) and can clearly play a bit.

Looking forward to your bass efforts. Well done!

Cheers Stevie - yeah - will work out something on the bass front. Kinda hard as Scott seems to have a load covered... but I’m sure I can find a gap!

Ill get some interesting gear stuff up too - something to address some of the common points that are asked all the time!

• 3 weeks later...