Why become a member? ×

Fuzz options for synth madness

radiophonic

I cut the treble on my stingray bass and use a keeley bass comp then a custom made box with an OC2 clone into a mountainking megalith clone (into a phase 45 clone if wanted), then a robot factory meatwad EF (meatball clone) then delay if wanted. 

This sounds very good but is quite hard to tame. If I want Something softer and easier to master I replace the Megalith by an Aguilar agro with saturation all the way up.

6 hours ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

The Chunk Systems Brown Dog is excellent but quite rare and not cheap now if you can find one.

The Fairfield Circuitry Unpleasant Suprise is great but although it does do the gated thing excellently, I felt it was more of a "noise" fuzz rather than a synth fuzz, if that makes any sense? I did a video where I used it a bit But didn't have the gate set high. It's here if you're interested:

I've had a few mastotrons but always felt they benefitted from a clean blend as I couldn't get them to balance in a mix otherwise.

The little bear bs-1 is a woolly mammoth clone that is pretty cheap but I quite enjoyed for the time I had it. 

The Redwitch Zeus was great as quite tweakable when you consider the trim pots. But as you already have the ON, I don't know if there's any point to having a functionally similar pedal

That was quite informative. II thought it sounded synthier without the amp sim. All the harmonics were in the top end. Maybe not a good choice. I agree about the Mastotron too - I always run mine with a clean blend for everything except synth and the it has an OC2 in parallel. Clean blend has opened up a lot of pedals to me for bass.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

Clean blend has opened up a lot of pedals to me for bass.

A X-over was the eye-opener for me. Blend is nice but two frequency bands is The Thing.

KMA Tyler is very powerful, but IE Divaricator is a bit more straightforward and very fast to use.