Why become a member? ×

Please remove
£1900
Devon

Chris Horton

Lovely looking bass. I've noticed on a few GB basses that the rear strap button is in an unusual place, lower down the body. What advantage does this give / any idea why its there? Also whats the specs of the bass, weight, string spacing etc?

8 minutes ago, Acebassmusic said:

Lovely looking bass. I've noticed on a few GB basses that the rear strap button is in an unusual place, lower down the body. What advantage does this give / any idea why its there? Also whats the specs of the bass, weight, string spacing etc?

I think it’s probably there to hold a strap, that’s usually what strap buttons do I think?...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Acebassmusic said:

It’ll be to help balance. One of my basses has one in the normal place and another further down as standard (Smith) and using the lower one really helps position the bass in the right place. The strap kind of sits differently and somehow it makes the bass ‘rotate’ a little towards you, too. 

12 minutes ago, Bassislife16 said:

I think it’s probably there to hold a strap, that’s usually what strap buttons do I think?...

Valid question with an bad attitude filled answer. Really no need.

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bubinga5 said:

Valid question with an attitude filled answer. 

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.  Strap button is that low for balance, not to put the kettle on and make a brew 😂

Edited by Bassislife16

1 minute ago, Bassislife16 said:

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.  Strap button is that low for balance, not to put the kettle on and make a brew 😂

It wasnt a stupid question. Bass might be life 16 for you dude but not for eveyone. I didnt know that fact. ✌

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

It wasnt a stupid question. Bass might be life 16 for you dude but not for eveyone. I didnt know that fact. ✌

You didn’t know it was there for balance? A lot of basses seem to have either 2 strap buttons or them placed lower down nowadays, Status have 2 on most of their models and Spector also place them at a lower position for balance and weight adjustment of how the actual bass sits.

It also accommodates for players who prefer their basses higher up on a strap, luthiers such as GB, assume these basses will be worn higher up because most players are using the upper register a lot. Placing the strap pin lower helps shift the basses weight creating more of a right angle or “straighter” playing position, so access to the upper register (in theory) is less strenuous, make sense? 

EDIT: I also just realised this picture taken from GB Guitars Twitter page is this exact bass!

3D39AD68-5E0F-4B9C-A628-79A804B9DB6F.jpeg

Edited by Bassislife16

3 hours ago, Bassislife16 said:

😮....and here's me gaffa taping my strap to my bass for the last 40 years! Darn. You learn something everyday. 🤔

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bassislife16 said:

You didn’t know it was there for balance? A lot of basses seem to have either 2 strap buttons or them placed lower down nowadays, Status have 2 on most of their models and Spector also place them at a lower position for balance and weight adjustment of how the actual bass sits.

It also accommodates for players who prefer their basses higher up on a strap, luthiers such as GB, assume these basses will be worn higher up because most players are using the upper register a lot. Placing the strap pin lower helps shift the basses weight creating more of a right angle or “straighter” playing position, so access to the upper register (in theory) is less strenuous, make sense? 

EDIT: I also just realised this picture taken from GB Guitars Twitter page is this exact bass!

Whatever the reason, it was a valid question that didn’t need the silly answer. 

OP, let me know if you’d like these comments scrubbed from your thread 👍🏼

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bassislife16 said:

Thanks for the info. Ive played hundreds of basses including my Sei and never felt the need for a lower strap button for balance. Every bass I've ever played has balanced well, If I want to play in the upper register ive just adjusted the position of the strap while playing. I think you will find most basses high end or lower end don't have 2 rear strap buttons.

46 minutes ago, Bassislife16 said:

seem to have either 2 strap buttons or them placed lower down nowadays

Each bass is different in terms of balance however every GB Bass I’ve put my hands on has always been perfect balance wise, I trust this bass is no exception. Impeccable luthiery and always top quality craftsmanship from GB.

27 minutes ago, ped said:

Whatever the reason, it was a valid question that didn’t need the silly answer. 

OP, let me know if you’d like these comments scrubbed from your thread 👍🏼

Apologies Ped, I guess sarcasm isn’t as well received over BC compared to what I’ve experienced in the past! However in all seriousness I have known strap buttons have other uses besides holding a strap, believe it or not I saw a guy mod a light up tuner onto one once, the outcome was less than satisfactory on the eyes...

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Acebassmusic said:

Hi , the strap button is positioned lower as it helps pulls the bass into your body .

on the GB Rumour basses , there are 2 strap locks fitted so the strap can be moved for different styles of playing.

hope that helps 

• Like 2