Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5 Maple vs Rosewood

Delamitri79

1 hour ago, Delamitri79 said:

I did a gig on sat night with the maple board ray5 and the sound engineer asked if I had the volume up full as he thought there was a low output from it. It does have fairly old dead strings on it which I'm changing tomo so that could've been the problem. Have you ever known a ray5 to have a low output 

The output (of the ceramic SR5) can be relatively low compared with some basses - might be worth changing the battery and strings as you say. Also the output changes as EQ is boosted.

I always refuse to use those DI boxes which bypass everything at gigs - I use the amp DI out with post EQ and on a Markbass you get a volume control for the DI output so can adjust if necessary as required by the sound engineer. That way the sound engineer gets the sound you want amplified to start with and can do whatever adjustments they think are needed to deliver FOI.

Interesting you should say this - I did an outdoor gig through a house PA recently and the sound guy came and asked if I'd turned up the bass volume after a particular song - the answer was no I hadn't but I played it harder as it had a driving bass part... 

Just goes to show they need to mix the bass in the same way as any other instrument!! 

39 minutes ago, Delamitri79 said:

That's gorgeous. 

This is the choice I've got 

IMG_20190608_165054.jpg

So if you're going on aesthetics you have a problem as they're both fabulous. 

Id go with the ceramic - I think they can produce a more punchy sound. Although mine is way over 10 lbs in weight I won't be selling it - it sounds absolutely great and although I have a 8.5 lb Stingray 5 Special i still love the ceramic one. 

Regarding rolled edges, I think these were introduced in the mid/late 90s - my maple board 2003 has them - I have a 1993 SR4 which doesn't. 

10 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

If it were me, the rosewood one, BUT man alive, that is a huge slab of pickguard.  It actually detracts from the niceness of the sunburst.

My only gripe with SR5s. The pickguard isn't to my taste at all. Stingrays are still my favourite bass though and I'll absolutely never be without one.

I have had both maple and rosewood necks and personally preferred the rosewood but it's so subjective that only you can tell which will suit you best.

It's a hell of situation ain't it 😂. They're both gorgeous and I've played both. Aesthetically the maple neck is absolutely killing it for me. I love it. The ceramic pickups are pretty much 100% to the tone I want from a ray5. The rosewood one looks killer with the aged white pearl pickguard and it has that darker tone and its only 6 years old and has the alnico pickups which I'm not fully sure about. I really do think Ernie ball should've kept the ceramic pups in the stingray line and not worry about the sterling thing. To me, ceramic IS the Ray sound. I've to make my mind up soon. 

17 minutes ago, Delamitri79 said:

Aesthetically the maple neck is absolutely killing it for me. I love it. The ceramic pickups are pretty much 100% to the tone I want from a ray5. 

Sounds like a decision made to me. I have to agree, that maple one looks stunning. If it’s as comfortable as the rosewood to play (personally, I have found EBMM maple ‘boards more chunky than rosewood ones, at least on 4 stringers) then go for it. Either way, it’s s nice dilemma to have.

1 hour ago, Delamitri79 said:

It's a hell of situation ain't it 😂. They're both gorgeous and I've played both. Aesthetically the maple neck is absolutely killing it for me. I love it. The ceramic pickups are pretty much 100% to the tone I want from a ray5. The rosewood one looks killer with the aged white pearl pickguard and it has that darker tone and its only 6 years old and has the alnico pickups which I'm not fully sure about. I really do think Ernie ball should've kept the ceramic pups in the stingray line and not worry about the sterling thing. To me, ceramic IS the Ray sound. I've to make my mind up soon. 

My 2003 SR5 ash/maple sounds great recorded, in a live band - has that balance between a warm vintage sound and more modern focus, so it's great for most genres including Motown and Stax - as I say I'd go ceramic. This is mine - really my favourite bass. 

image.jpeg.e5554e42afd887f27f1204a55440a7e3.jpeg

Of course, they've now gone neodymium/18 volt - still a great bass. In this case, ebony!

image.thumb.jpeg.82cddf8c18dff048d1c49e5aeb3f08ad.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Sounds like a decision made to me. I have to agree, that maple one looks stunning. If it’s as comfortable as the rosewood to play (personally, I have found EBMM maple ‘boards more chunky than rosewood ones, at least on 4 stringers) then go for it. Either way, it’s s nice dilemma to have.

When you say more chunky, do you mean more space between the strings. Ive found the maple one to be easier to negotiate between the strings 

10 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

My 2003 SR5 ash/maple sounds great recorded, in a live band - has that balance between a warm vintage sound and more modern focus, so it's great for most genres including Motown and Stax - as I say I'd go ceramic. This is mine - really my favourite bass. 

image.jpeg.e5554e42afd887f27f1204a55440a7e3.jpeg

Of course, they've now gone neodymium/18 volt - still a great bass. In this case, ebony!

image.thumb.jpeg.82cddf8c18dff048d1c49e5aeb3f08ad.jpeg

They are both beautiful basses. The natural finish with the maple board is out of the world 

5 hours ago, mrtcat said:

My only gripe with SR5s. The pickguard isn't to my taste at all. Stingrays are still my favourite bass though and I'll absolutely never be without one.

I have had both maple and rosewood necks and personally preferred the rosewood but it's so subjective that only you can tell which will suit you best.

They do make them in the classic guise. 

While I have little intention of ever owning a Stingray, I do like what MM are trying to do with finishes...the Stealth one (all black) looked beautiful and, on the subject of MM, the St Vincent in Stealth Black is specfeckingtacular.

img_1545_zpshiaxoyyl-jpg.2523073

full-73.png?1525807591

7 hours ago, Delamitri79 said:

When you say more chunky, do you mean more space between the strings. Ive found the maple one to be easier to negotiate between the strings 

No, front to back (depth). I always found (it’s been a while mind) the rosewood boarded necks to be shallower, at least on 4 string models. Things may have changed. If you find this maple boarded beauty easier to play, prefer the ceramic tone and like the aesthetics (and why wouldn’t you?), it sounds like it’s time to open the wallet. Happy days!

18 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

They do make them in the classic guise. 

While I have little intention of ever owning a Stingray, I do like what MM are trying to do with finishes...the Stealth one (all black) looked beautiful and, on the subject of MM, the St Vincent in Stealth Black is specfeckingtacular.

One of my guitarists and me couldn't agree more. Just need to convince our singer lol 

OK decision has been made and its time for a little confession. 

I own the rosewood one and I had the opportunity to swap it for the maple. 

I've decided to keep my own rosewood ray5. I was very fortunate to be allowed to hold onto the maple board ray5 for a week or so (many thanks Ian) but now having played it I realise that the darker tones do it for me, all be it by just the tiniest of margins. Both basses are spectacular and easily would be right at home in any gig. 

Many Thanks for all your great comments and input. I greatly appreciated them and they helped on my way 

Keep her lit low enders 

Screenshot_20190612-071950.png

IMG_20190612_071911.jpg

Edited by Delamitri79
  • Like 2

Ooh, sneaky! However, keeping the bass you already own and clearly like, is no bad thing and it is a beaut in its own right. You could of course try replacing the pickup for a ceramic one, but it may not achieve the desired result.

• 3 weeks later...