Why become a member? ×

I have 2 Precision basses....

fretmeister

37 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Did an hour's practice this morning with some backing tracks.

Definitely sounds different to the TI. Thicker sounding. Feel is also very different - the La Bellas are smoother.

The E string seems a bit wooly compared to the others at the moment but I seem to remember in the mists of time that after a week or so they will wear in and be very similar.

And anyway I tend to turn the Tone control down to at least 50% for this sort of music so there's no clank even on the higher strings.

Tension / suppleness is very different too. I am liking them.

I found that I had to turn the tone down less with the La Bella's than I did with the Chromes I had on previously. Essentially, the La Bella's gave me a tone similar to my 5 year old Chromes.
That probably doesn't sound great to some ("OMFG old strings are dead strings"), but actually it's what I want from flats, a played-in thumpy vibe from the outset. They're the best IMO :) 

Si

4 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Glad you like the la Bella's. Would be interested in how they cut through the mix with the tone half rolled off. How will you set your eq on your amp as imagine that would sound very muddy?

I'll find out on saturday.

When I play at home I go through my Helix and into Studio monitors and I have a bunch of EQ presets to flip between. Can't remember which one I used!

I've not tried the D'addario halfs but I have had GHS Pressurewounds in the past and I do like them.

The bass with the La Bella's is the heavier bass - it's making me realise why I always play the lighter one! Not that the heavy one is heavy - it's 9lb

I'm getting old!

On 13/06/2019 at 10:03, hooky_lowdown said:

Glad you like the la Bella's. Would be interested in how they cut through the mix with the tone half rolled off. How will you set your eq on your amp as imagine that would sound very muddy?

I use 760FMs (49, 69, 89 with a 104 E from the 760FL) and roll my tone all the way off. I cut through 2 heavy distorted guitarists. One on a Les Paul, the other on a Firebird both using Fender Deluxe amps. 

I used to use TIs but found them a bit wimpy. La Bella's cut through no messin. 

15 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I'm currently playing with half rounds and like them. I found they work with some P basses and not others, don't know why!

Has there been any common factors - maple/rosewood fretboard or alder/ash bodies?

Rehearsal went well this morning.

The sound was definitely chunkier and had more clank when the tone was up full. I did cut the bass on the amp a fair bit to make sure it wasn’t getting too boomy.

Im going to put the La Bellas on the lighter P bass now, as the other one is too heavy for a 3 hour rehearsal.

Im actually tempted to try a set of the 760 on my Sandberg jazz. 

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Rehearsal went well this morning.

The sound was definitely chunkier and had more clank when the tone was up full. I did cut the bass on the amp a fair bit to make sure it wasn’t getting too boomy.

Im going to put the La Bellas on the lighter P bass now, as the other one is too heavy for a 3 hour rehearsal.

Im actually tempted to try a set of the 760 on my Sandberg jazz. 

Do it! Put them on my Sandberg and Dingwall 5er. 

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic I know, but of the different flatwound strings, which would you say are the best for using for with shiny,  highly varnished maple fingerboards. 

Reason for asking is that, when I tried some Chromes a couple of years ago with a Hayman 4040 bass, I found the combination of them with a highly varnished maple fingerboard too much. 

So I'm curious as to which flats, if any, have a bit more texture to the surface of the actual string? 

My new P Bass has a similar kind of fretboard so I want to make sure I don't run into the same problem I had previously with the Hayman when I put some flats on this P Bass. 

Hope that makes some kind of sense and thanks ... 😊

1 hour ago, silverfoxnik said:

Slightly off topic I know, but of the different flatwound strings, which would you say are the best for using for with shiny,  highly varnished maple fingerboards. 

Reason for asking is that, when I tried some Chromes a couple of years ago with a Hayman 4040 bass, I found the combination of them with a highly varnished maple fingerboard too much. 

So I'm curious as to which flats, if any, have a bit more texture to the surface of the actual string? 

My new P Bass has a similar kind of fretboard so I want to make sure I don't run into the same problem I had previously with the Hayman when I put some flats on this P Bass. 

Hope that makes some kind of sense and thanks ... 😊

The Fender flats have quite a matt 'dry' feel about them, if that helps. 👍

• Thanks 1