Why become a member? ×

I have 2 Precision basses....

fretmeister

My current faves are EB Cobalts but I think you have that area covered with the TIs. Given the big band, I'd personally try some nylon flats on the second - I think they would play to the Ps strengths in the lows and mids, with a natural warmth that should suit the band.
I'll watch out to see what direction you go in.

• Like 1

As there are two types of flats "Old school" and "Modern Hybrid", I suggest you use both, one on each bass. The TI's are old school - thumpy, warm, smooth. Modern hybrids (Chromes, EB Cobalts, Fender flats) have a warm, brighter tone, more articulation through the mids, which may be good in your big band, will help cut through the mix better.

44 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

At the moment they both have TI flats on them.

Im thinking of putting different stings on one of them for a bit of variety. 

Definitely flats, but which?

My current gig is a big band with about 20 people. Brass, reeds, piano, drums etc.

I have 2 P's but one round one flats, covers nearly everything for me..except the Wal gets used 90% of the time :)

I have tried Steve Harris signature strings (they're just rotosound heavy flats I hear...) But that creates some serious tension, they're a lot clearer and rounder sounding than TI's. Personally I didn't like the TIs on my p bass but have kept them for if I get a jazz again I think I'd like them on a passive jazz. I've had fender tapewounds on the p for over a year now and they sound great. Thumpy and percussive but there's a grittyness when you open the tone and dig in, plus for rounds they're easy on the fingers. Just for variety I'm going to put on some Fender flats (45 guage) next. 

I should add my p has a badass bridge and Steve Harris signature pup which may influence things a fair bit in how I hear the strings.

OK I have a few more P-type basses, only one of which is a Fender, and thinking about it they all have different strings on.

1. 1966 Fender - Fender 7150L Pure Nickel strings, they are a few years old now and mellowing nicely

2. Bacchus Woodline Classic P - D'Addario EXL170BTs

3. ACG Finn P (32" scale) - D'Addario ETB92M black tapewounds

4. Spector Euro LE4 1977 - D'Addario nickels, lighter set than on the Bacchus

I like them all for different reasons but I do stick the EXL170BTs on pretty much all my other fretted basses so I guess they are my favourites.

Did an hour's practice this morning with some backing tracks.

Definitely sounds different to the TI. Thicker sounding. Feel is also very different - the La Bellas are smoother.

The E string seems a bit wooly compared to the others at the moment but I seem to remember in the mists of time that after a week or so they will wear in and be very similar.

And anyway I tend to turn the Tone control down to at least 50% for this sort of music so there's no clank even on the higher strings.

Tension / suppleness is very different too. I am liking them.

• Like 2