Why become a member? ×

They banned relax but kept playing......

Nicko

21 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Off you go then..........

Most threads I start seldom get beyond the first page, so I wouldn't want to damn its chances xD

21 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Capstick Comes Home do for a starter?

😎

Excellent choice, Sir.

"Do you know, when I were a lad you could get a tram down into t'town, buy three new suits an' an ovvercoat, four pair o' good boots, go an' see George Formby at t'Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, 'ave some steak an' chips, bunch o' bananas an' three stone o' monkey nuts an' still 'ave change out of a farthing". 

I remember in the 90s my mates were into obscure comics.  One was an oddball superhero called Too Much Coffee Man.  Compared to their usual XMen type stuff I quite liked this one.

I remember one strip where he is talking to a girl who informs him that Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison is actually about butt sex.  "You know, down in the hollow, playing a new game?".

The strip cut to him wide eyed saying "Thanks, I'll never listen to that song the same way again".  It has been the same for me ever since too.....

Edited by Huge Hands
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

I remember in the 90s my mates were into obscure comics.  One was an oddball superhero called Too Much Coffee Man.  Compared to their usual XMen type stuff I quite liked this one.

I remember one strip where he is talking to a girl who informs him that Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison is actually about butt sex.  "You know, down in the hollow, playing a new game?".

The strip cut to him wide eyed saying "Thanks, I'll never listen to that song the same way again".  It has been the same for me ever since too.....

Corporal 451 will be fascinated! 😄

15 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Off you go then..........

Capstick Comes Home do for a starter?

😎

Fantastic. It was on the radio when first released and it was playing at work when we were having our break. On first hearing the 6 of us in attendance were all crying with laughter. Top bloke.

Edited by mikel
Spelling.

• 3 months later...
On 10/06/2019 at 10:06, Muzz said:

We do Killing In The Name on a regular basis, which is never an issue in a pub late night (tho the singer does preface it with "This one's a bit sweary, brace yourselves" 😀

We play that too, depending on the venue. Our singer always introduces it as ‘a former Christmas number one’. 🤣

Edited by BrunoBass

On 10/06/2019 at 22:29, Stub Mandrel said:

Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen...

I’m all for viewing things through the prism of the time they belonged to, but my god that song is vile. I remember hearing it as a kid and thinking ‘what did he just say?!’ Incest, paedophilia and entrapment all wrapped up in one fluffy teen pop package. Urgh.

On 11/06/2019 at 21:23, el borracho said:

They probably got away with the name as well, claiming it stood for Epsom Mad Funkers but the B side of Unbelievable was called EMF and featured the lyrics E Ecstacy, M Mot***f**ers, F From us to you, or something along those lines.

I still hear Unbelievable on the radio now - they still haven't noticed !!

Yes it still gets played a lot! I know a couple of the guys in EMF, they have all done very well off the back of that song. They’re lovely lads, good luck to them!

2 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Umm - as distasteful as you may find this, the 'age of consent' in the UK is 16

(& Ringo Starr did, imo, a fantastic job on this.........)

😎

It’s the bit about him being her big brother that set my alarm bells a-ringing.

Edited by BrunoBass

6 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

(& Ringo Starr did, imo, a fantastic job on this.........)

Just now, skankdelvar said:

IIRC that was You're sixteen, you're beautiful and you're mine

But he still did a fantastic job even without a brown paper bag to contain his alleged emissions, right?

• Haha 1

Slightly off topic. But I once remember Radio one playing The Darkness's "Get your hands off of my woman (mother f@#*er)" with the latter part of the chorus blanked out for obvious reasons. But the censors (probably due to Justin Hawkins high pitched voice and not understanding the lyrics) somehow managed to miss the part on the song where he screams at the top of his lungs "You C####################nt!"

This was prime evening drive time. I nearly crashed the car laughing. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mikel said:

If written from the point of view of a 15 ,year old boy I dont see what the problem would be. Plenty of songs about "young love". Without any sexual overtones.

Not to mention totally innocent songs about a pubescent boy and his love for his puppy.

Master J. Oz-Mond

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Slightly off topic. But I once remember Radio one playing The Darkness's "Get your hands off of my woman (mother f@#*er)"

But dragging it back on topic, how come 'Christmas Time' got so much airplay, with a world record number of mentions of the phrase 'don't let the bells end'?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AdrianP said:

But dragging it back on topic, how come 'Christmas Time' got so much airplay, with a world record number of mentions of the phrase 'don't let the bells end'?

And "ring peace" gets a fair few mentions. Yes there's an 'in' between them but I'm Justin delighted in singing these smutty phrases in a twee Christmas song. 😄

• Like 1

On 09/06/2019 at 09:40, Nicko said:

....Brown Sugar.   Talking to out vocalist the other day, she said she woud never sing it because the lyrics were offensive (not that it would ever get on the setlist anyway)  I'd never really listened to the lyrics but they are a bit, erm non PC.   Any others?

I'm a bit surprised no-one has really got to the point yet. These were different times but there are a lot of things we see differently now

Gold Coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in the market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver knows he's doin' all right
Hear him whip the women just around midnight

So the song is basically a joyous song about raping black slave women. I'm not surprised she doesn't want to sing those lyrics. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

I'm a bit surprised no-one has really got to the point yet. These were different times but there are a lot of things we see differently now

Gold Coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in the market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver knows he's doin' all right
Hear him whip the women just around midnight

So the song is basically a joyous song about raping black slave women. I'm not surprised she doesn't want to sing those lyrics. 

Again, context. Shining a spotlight on our shameful, distant past is a good way to try and make sure it never happens again. Depends If you think the Stones were celebrating slavery or shaming the perpetrators. If art cant cover the past, and make people think, then where would that leave films like 12 Years a Slave? 

• Like 2