Why become a member? ×

They banned relax but kept playing......

Nicko

10 hours ago, Doctor J said:

That was one of his lesser crimes, incredibly enough.

Surely it wasn't a crime. This should in no way be taken as me approving of it, simply saying that the rather dubious southern state that he was in allowed such marriages.

9 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

As I recall, the BBC banning Relax was instigated by DJ Mike Reed, who, upon playing the single, got an earful of the lyric, and stopped playing it half-way through, chirruping loudly about it being the start of the decline of civilisation as we know it - I may have over-egged that last bit, but it’s not far off.

Initially it was banned because it was about sex. Then Holly Johnson said it was about gay sex and that put the ban into overdrive.

7 hours ago, Japhet said:

Radar Love would seem to be extolling the virtues of driving under the influence of biblical quantities of whizz. Very un-PC in these days of 'no half of shandy for me - I'm driving'.

Or, alternatively, about the singer's psychic connection to his girlfriend, which doesn't require drugs.

On 09/06/2019 at 15:44, Cato said:

Unbelievable by EMF.

The track has a sample running through it that repeats 'Whoah! What the F*ck' throughout the song.

For the avoidance of doubt the wording of the sample was included with the lyric sheet that came with the CD.

The unedited song received widespread nationwide airplay.

Apparently no one noticed the naughty language.

They probably got away with the name as well, claiming it stood for Epsom Mad Funkers but the B side of Unbelievable was called EMF and featured the lyrics E Ecstacy, M Mot***f**ers, F From us to you, or something along those lines.

I still hear Unbelievable on the radio now - they still haven't noticed !!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Japhet said:

Radar Love would seem to be extolling the virtues of driving under the influence of biblical quantities of whizz. Very un-PC in these days of 'no half of shandy for me - I'm driving'.

Unlike 'White Line Fever' or 'Motorhead' then 🙂

8 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

I nominate Jasper Carrot - Magic Roundabout............

😎

Ah but they did ban that, hence the bemused look on the babyfaced audience members on Top of The Pops, when Mr Carrot appeared on stage "singing" Funky Moped.😁

1 hour ago, Raymondo said:

Ah but they did ban that, hence the bemused look on the babyfaced audience members on Top of The Pops, when Mr Carrot appeared on stage "singing" Funky Moped.😁

Was it just me, but didn't find that / him remotely funny in the 70's ? I wouldn't even dare to listen to it now...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, el borracho said:

I still hear Unbelievable on the radio now - they still haven't noticed !!

It gets a lot of use on the TV too. 

A few years back, on the BBC, there was a trailer for something that used Closer by Nine Inch Nails.

I fully expected them to edit to song before the chorus, but they didn't. For those that don't know it the chorus starts:

"I want to f**k you like an animal

I want to feel you from the inside."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, casapete said:

Was it just me, but didn't find that / him remotely funny in the 70's ? I wouldn't even dare to listen to it now...

I am one of those that fell for his comedy charms in the Seventies.

I didn't like his later, shouty, persona and,agreed, Magic Roundabout was very cheesy;However I loved his stand up stuff.

I paid the princely sum of 50p to watch him live at the Nottingham Theatre Royal when he was at the height of his early stand up success and I thought he was brilliant.

I'm sure it's not just  you though that didn't find him funny!😊

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Raymondo said:

Not in the same class as The Goodies excellent "Funky Gibbon".......9_9

Back to the OP; no mention yet of the endearing double-entendre of "My ding-a-ling"  - Chuck Berry -  and "(Don't mess with) My toot toot"  - Denise LaSalle 

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

This is one of my favourite tracks of all time but unless I very much mistaken it sounds like Mick is trying to get a 13 year old upstairs with him along with her friend.....very dodgy 

I know what you mean - it's one of my favourite 'sounding' Stones songs too.

This is the version I'm used to - she's now 15 ! 😬

1 minute ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I know what you mean - it's one of my favourite 'sounding' Stones songs too.

This is the version I'm used to - she's now 15 ! 😬

Yeh I actually prefer the studio version...great track 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mook said:

This is one of my favorite tracks of all time but unless I very much mistaken it sounds like Mick is trying to get a 13 year old upstairs with him along with her friend.....very dodgy 

perhaps Bill had a hand in the lyrics 😄

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'm reading the youtube commentage, and imagining which Basschatters would say what!

edit: Now see, most of these dodgy numbers could be cleaned up to modern standards with the slightest changes to the lyrics.

well she was just 53

you know what I mean

and the way she looked

was way beyond compare

ooooooooh!

so how could I dance with another?

oooooooooh!

when I saw her standing there

ooooooooooooh!

Edited by Ricky 4000

7 hours ago, Raymondo said:

Funky Moped

Me mum won't let me mend it in the kitchen.
I've got to fix it in the garding

Produced by Jeff Lynne

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

Funky Gibbon

Musical backing by Gonzalez who charted with Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet

We really need a thread about UK novelty singles.