Why become a member? ×

They banned relax but kept playing......

Nicko

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

No mention of Lou Reed yet? I think the grunts on relax may have been the tipping point for the beeb. Seems incredibly tame now!

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

After about 55 years of broadcasting, I believe these days Walk On The Wild Side is "banned".

5 hours ago, ambient said:

I’ve never really listened to the words of any of these, mainly because, with the exception of walk on the wild side, they’re such god-awful songs 😁.

Urm, isn't this ^^^ a Lou REED tune ?

That said, I prefer Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds to Brown Sugar.

As is the case with many songs, a cursory examination of the lyrics to Brown Sugar suggests that it would be perfectly possible to re-write them for a female singer. 

For example:

Drums beatin' cold, English blood runs hot
Lady Master of the house wonderin' when it's gonna stop

This would provide a happy resolution for everyone :)

11 hours ago, Nicko said:

....Brown Sugar.   Talking to out vocalist the other day, she said she woud never sing it because the lyrics were offensive (not that it would ever get on the setlist anyway)  I'd never really listened to the lyrics but they are a bit, erm non PC.   Any others?

once heard an interview with the producer of Brown Sugar, he said Mick insisted having the vocal low in the mix because of the risque lyrics

4 hours ago, Rich said:

Hey Jude has Paul McCartney audibly saying "Whoa! F**kin 'ell", after hitting a bum note. (2:56)

perhaps he was saying it because of the boring well overlong last 3 minutes, if he wasn't he should have been

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Cato said:

Unbelievable by EMF.

The track has a sample running through it that repeats 'Whoah! What the F*ck' throughout the song.

For the avoidance of doubt the wording of the sample was included with the lyric sheet that came with the CD.

The unedited song received widespread nationwide airplay.

Apparently no one noticed the naughty language.

You Outta Know by Alanis Morrisette also contains some explicit lyrics which are also faded out for radio, but the context if the song isn't really that risque. 

Catfish and the Bottlemen's album "the Balcony" is also edited widely for radio play but I'm not sure the content is likely to be offensive.

IIRC theres a song on Run DMC's King of Rock called It's Not Funny, to which the reposte at the end is  "Motherf***er", again the sentiment of the song isn't offensive.

42 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

I'm learning Does Your Mother Know by Abba. Underage girl comes on to adult man and he rebuffs her. Nowt wrong with that but I'm still not comfortable with it.

Ditto ‘Young girl’ by Gary Puckett and The Union Gap , but a bit more creepy. 

1 hour ago, spectoremg said:

I'm learning Does Your Mother Know by Abba. Underage girl comes on to adult man and he rebuffs her. Nowt wrong with that but I'm still not comfortable with it.

An excelent song, we introduced it and now its normally in our last or near last closing songs, never fails to go down a storm. And I don't see anything wrong with the lyrics either, it is an underage girl coming on to an adult man, and him rebuffing her, which is lets face it, what is supposed to happen.

6 hours ago, casapete said:

On a slightly different tack, not sure how ‘Little Children’ ( Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas ), ‘Clare’ ( Gilbert O’Sullivan ‘) or ‘Save all your kisses for me’ ( Brotherhood of Man’) would be viewed in these perhaps less innocent times?

Clair by Gilbert O'Sullivan is an interesting one, which I happened to be reading about recently as I was listening to it* and thought these lyrics sound a bit dodgy, but there is a lot about it on the net, there was a real Clair, and it was a story about him and her and there was nothing dodgy about it. 

Both of these songs are at the risk of an understandable but very unfortunate backlash against relationships between adult men and young girls that are very important for healthy development for girls. Unfortunately because the risk of abuse (and alarming incidence of it), the pendulum can sometimes swing too far and make innocent relationships seem dodgy.

I mean I wouldn't do Clair as a song because it is a god awful song, but the lyrics would seem dodgy now.

* because 'alone again, naturally' came on and I realised how dark the lyrics were. Sing something in a gentle way and noone notices.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Maggie Mae - older woman seduces school boy. Wears him out etc.

In the same vein, Tie Your Mother Down - wrote by Brian 'The Badger's Friend' May.

That is another slam-dunk of coercing a minor into having sex - but I've never heard a complaint about it, and what's left of Queen still often play it live. 😬

4 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

In the same vein, Tie Your Mother Down - wrote by Brian 'The Badger's Friend' May.

That is another slam-dunk of coercing a minor into having sex - but I've never heard a complaint about it, and what's left of Queen still often play it live. 😬

Staying with Queen, ‘Fat bottomed girls’ could be seen as not acceptable in these times of body issues, along with it’s content about “naughty nanny”. 

We do Killing In The Name on a regular basis, which is never an issue in a pub late night (tho the singer does preface it with "This one's a bit sweary, brace yourselves" 😀) and we played an afternoon festival gig the other week. We still played it, but the singer censored himself with 'Fluff you I won't do what you tell me' and best of all, 'Motherfluffer...'  Went down even better than usual... 😁

On 09/06/2019 at 09:40, Nicko said:

....Brown Sugar.   Talking to out vocalist the other day, she said she woud never sing it because the lyrics were offensive (not that it would ever get on the setlist anyway)  I'd never really listened to the lyrics but they are a bit, erm non PC.   Any others?

Would be a bit odd sung by a woman anyway, wouldn't it?

7 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I always thought it was a reference to gay sex since the last line is "give me every inch of your love"