Why become a member? ×

Active/Passive Mode Wiring?

Hello everyone, I wanna ask you all one very important question because I need help. I bought the Bartolini TC3 PREAMP MODULE BOOSTER, and I wanna make my bass to work on Active/Passive mode. On this picture that I posted I make the wiring diagram, so can you tell me please did I make any mistakes on the wiring diagram,because I am worrying for some things, and If something is not ok on the wiring diagram can you please tell me what to do to make everything working properly on the bass? Thank you Guys 😊

received_366708343975122.jpeg

bartolini uses colours, so follow them carefully. If you want to revise your pic, another 470 k in the bypass switch can be 1 M, but this is minor. With the resistors the switch is quiet.

The output of the instrument is hi-Z without the booster and lo-Z with it. On the first effect this may change the sound, especially if it is a compressor or an OD/dist/fuzz.

Here I revise the picture of the other resistor like on the original Bartolini wiring diagram, I was following the colours carefully - Purple - Booster, Yellow - IN, Green - OUT, Red - Battery, Black - Ground. Now I have another very important question, wich is about the Ground. As you see on my picture on a Passive mode there's no grounding cable coming from the input to the Bypass switch and to the jack it's only the hot, I saw the same and on the Original Bartolini wiring diagram (see the other picture that I post), and it looks like maybe the ground is only for the Active mode or for both I really don't know 🤔. So my question is - If there is no grounding cable coming from the input to the Bypass switch and to the jack on a Passive mode - is there will be any problem or trouble happening on the whole thing?

received_2396969743870010.jpeg

Screenshot_2019-06-13-07-41-47-1.png

It is possibly covered by the "ground to shielding" wire as all earths should come together at some point. The Bart diagram just shows all the controls earthed so I would suggest a wire from the body of the pots to the same tag as "ground to shielding" on the jack should do the job. Without that it will probably hum like a good un no matter which mode you have it in.

You have several grounds that are connected to the same ground point. This includes the preamp.

There is no need to connect the ground to the switch. The switch only directs the signal through the preamp or not. That's it. 

2 minutes ago, itu said:

You have several grounds that are connected to the same ground point. This includes the preamp.

There is no need to connect the ground to the switch. The switch only directs the signal through the preamp or not. That's it. 

But there doesn't appear to be a ground to the pickups or pots or have I missed something. The ground from the pickups is connected to the body of the volume controls and all the pot bodies are connected together but they aren't grounded.

2 hours ago, itu said:

I would use #1 so, that there in the shielding is a pole/point/terminal of some kind where all ground wires connect well together.

I would say that both would work but the first is a bit better way of doing this.

I would go this route as well, in fact I have done a few times.