Why become a member? ×

Ken Smith Chat - (NBD inside! Black Tiger 6)

akabane

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Finally. Back in the club.

A (not battered) burner. 1993.

Looking forward to arrival.

0F4F172E-420D-4443-AB43-DA423AEE7EF5.jpeg

Nice. One of the best Smiths I’ve played was a JJ Burner like that. Enjoy 👍🏼

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ped said:

Nice. One of the best Smiths I’ve played was a JJ Burner like that. Enjoy 👍🏼

I had one for about 4 seconds in 2009.

I arrived home to play it and the ex had quit her job and we had to pay back maternity leave pay…it was a deluxe walnut like this…

1A0C56D1-B2E9-45CF-9F9F-4F5D9C1B23F0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 15/08/2022 at 22:44, AndyTravis said:

Finally. Back in the club.

A (not battered) burner. 1993.

Looking forward to arrival.

0F4F172E-420D-4443-AB43-DA423AEE7EF5.jpeg

That's stunning Andy! - I wonder if that will arrive before I come to collect the Yamaha from you...

And if so will I be allowed to even look at it?!?!

Seriously tho - Beautiful Bass!

On 15/08/2022 at 22:53, AndyTravis said:

I had one for about 4 seconds in 2009.

I arrived home to play it and the ex had quit her job and we had to pay back maternity leave pay…it was a deluxe walnut like this…

1A0C56D1-B2E9-45CF-9F9F-4F5D9C1B23F0.jpeg

That is lovely. Like how it matches a lot of the walnut BSRs…it would go with mine very nicely anyway 😬

On 17/08/2022 at 10:32, AndyTravis said:

Yeah that’s the one.

the six is now at 2500, obviously nobody wanted it at 2900 🫣

The one on Reverb? I get the impression that many sellers on there are in dreamland about what their bass is worth. It was a steal but I picked up a Dingwall AB2 6 that started up there at £3,500. I paid just under £1800 for it in the end!

Burners, especially a 6, are a bit tricky to price. They’re not the boutique US elite quality, but I’ve heard great things about playability. Still wouldn’t pay a penny more than £1500 for it ;)

10 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

The one on Reverb? I get the impression that many sellers on there are in dreamland about what their bass is worth. It was a steal but I picked up a Dingwall AB2 6 that started up there at £3,500. I paid just under £1800 for it in the end!

Burners, especially a 6, are a bit tricky to price. They’re not the boutique US elite quality, but I’ve heard great things about playability. Still wouldn’t pay a penny more than £1500 for it ;)

2.5k is very punchy price for that. (I recently bought a BT5G for not a great deal more!) The seller seems to think it's a US model just cause KS signature is in the control cavity, but I think that's just cause he did the setup/QC on them. Still it's an early-ish Burner model with the older headstock shape. 

What's the difference on the Burner pickups vs the US pickups?

2 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

It's actually a strategy to test interest out.  They can monitor the number of watchers and, if they're serious about selling, they'll lower the price for a quick sale.  Alternatively they will hang on an outrageous price to hook someone who is desperate and willing to pay above the odds...thereby setting a new precedent for others to use as the basis for yet an even more outrageous price.  It worked for Wal basses.

7 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

Do Burners not have super tight string spacing? I had a green 5 string bought from this parish many years ago. 16mm string spacing. Didn’t keep it long for that reason, though top quality luthiery. Still have a BT5 & 6 with much better 18mm spacing. 

4 hours ago, Kiwi said:

It's actually a strategy to test interest out.  They can monitor the number of watchers and, if they're serious about selling, they'll lower the price for a quick sale.  Alternatively they will hang on an outrageous price to hook someone who is desperate and willing to pay above the odds...thereby setting a new precedent for others to use as the basis for yet an even more outrageous price.  It worked for Wal basses.

It’s a curious strategy with something that although interesting and reasonably rare, is a niche instrument (6 string with awful upper fret access, very tight spacing, and almost definitely north of 5Kg). Wal have a certain cachet that they got very soon after Pete the fish hung up his tools, and their unique electronics and celebrity users (Paul McCartney, Geddy Lee, JMJ etc) helped fuel the mystique. This seller may have some rich desperate clown hit buy but it’s more likely to sink a fair bit below £2K before it shifts.

23 hours ago, obi 2 kenobi said:

Do Burners not have super tight string spacing? I had a green 5 string bought from this parish many years ago. 16mm string spacing. Didn’t keep it long for that reason, though top quality luthiery. Still have a BT5 & 6 with much better 18mm spacing. 

They do indeed, great basses but that's the main reason I haven't looked at acquiring one. Then again I'm on the other end of the scale (I like 20mm spacing).

23 hours ago, obi 2 kenobi said:

A 5 string burner in green. Seafoam green like Hadrien's?

I've been looking for a used one but convinced there are no others out there in that colour way. Or they never come up for sale at least. 

20 hours ago, Mikey D said:

A 5 string burner in green. Seafoam green like Hadrien's?

I've been looking for a used one but convinced there are no others out there in that colour way. Or they never come up for sale at least. 

It was translucent dark green. Nice colour. Tried to sell it on basschat for £800 but no takers sadly 

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...