Why become a member? ×

Ken Smith Chat - (NBD inside! Black Tiger 6)

akabane

4 minutes ago, Kevsy71 said:

Well spotted Sir! I've been too busy playing it to take pics 😁 

I'm delighted with it - playability and tones are amazing. And it has my name on the headstock. Will post pics and a longer write-up in the next few days...

How cool is that: your "own brand" high-end bass, with a level of craftsmanship which, dare I say, is right up with very best on the planet?! 

Look forward to the write up and pics later this week. 

• Thanks 1

And presenting: my 2006 5BSREG quilted maple  top with walnut core.

20200219_145959.thumb.jpg.370283a9b1a8f7eb368755729133e1e9.jpg

20200219_150007.thumb.jpg.03e5df7cf7eb8743a75d224d40ce8e59.jpg

20200219_152335.thumb.jpg.060a6a668290bd1b3dc237036deb225b.jpg

20200219_152358.thumb.jpg.d6c94f5d346cc5227b591e1b9a8b6f95.jpg

20200219_152302.thumb.jpg.947ad0e64f8052ee95f44e5547b5e252.jpg

Not quite a NBD because I've had it a few weeks now. The tone and playability are exactly what I was after, and it sits so well in the lap or strap. Unfortunately I've only gigged it once, when the IEM mix failed and there was only a Marshall 10 inch guitar amp to monitor from! But I could certainly feel the low B-string notes in the venue :). I'm looking forward to hearing it properly with the band next time, and it should just need the Radial JDI to FOH and maybe a bit of onboard preamp tweaking as necessary. It also sounds terrific for home practice through the DAW/headphones - no hiss, and very punchy.

It came strung with Sadowsky Blue Labels, which sounded very fine indeed, but I noticed that they did not quite sit in the bridge notches. This was affecting the action, so I swapped them for the KS taper cores that were included in the case, and bingo - excellent action and 'that' tone.

Super pleased with this, and with my trusty Bruce Thomas Profile as 4-string P bass I honestly think it's the end of GAS after 35 years. And yes, you can have that in writing.

• Like 4

That really is an outstanding and very gorgeous bass! 

I never really spotted just what a great finish quilted maple gave until I ended up buying a Spector with that same finish, and it has grown on me very quickly indeed and I'm now a big fan! 

What genre of music do you play with your band? 

Ken Smith related - 4 sets of Elixir super lights just arrived in the post. Elixir don't actually make a 5 string set of these gauges so I get a 4 string set and a separate .125 for the B string.

It was Chris (Ped) who put me on to these. I used to use Elixirs on electric guitar and they were good but I didnt think they were worth the price compared to using cheaper D'addarios and changing more often. These bass strings are superb. The set I had on my Ken Smith when I bought it from Chris had them on are dying now, but they've probably been on there 7 months now. I don't kill strings quickly with sweat like some people but I think that is a very respectable run  especially since they feel glossy and still have a zingy sound.

As I run down my string stockpiles for my other basses I'll probably move everything over to Elixirs for the most part. I'd recommend everyone give them a go if you haven't used them in a while. The zingy tone isn't for everyone (but Ken Smith players will love it, I think) and the super slippery feel might not be to everyone's taste, particularly if you like dry and rough-feeling strings like Rotosounds.

Fun fact, they're a Gore corporation product, the same people who make the Gore-Tex coating like you find on hiking boots, jackets, tents etc.

20200220_193657.thumb.jpg.934f00bad666c5257557eb690f86df57.jpg

Edited by Mastodon2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mastodon2 said:

Ken Smith related - 4 sets of Elixir super lights just arrived in the post. Elixir don't actually make a 5 string set of these gauges so I get a 4 string set and a separate .125 for the B string.

It was Chris (Ped) who put me on to these. I used to use Elixirs on electric guitar and they were good but I didnt think they were worth the price compared to using cheaper D'addarios and changing more often. These bass strings are superb. The set I had on my Ken Smith when I bought it from Chris had them on are dying now, but they've probably been on there 7 months now. I don't kill strings quickly with sweat like some people but I think that is a very respectable run  especially since they feel glossy and still have a zingy sound.

As I run down my string stockpiles for my other basses I'll probably move everything over to Elixirs for the most part. I'd recommend everyone give them a go if you haven't used them in a while. The zingy tone isn't for everyone (but Ken Smith players will love it, I think) and the super slippery feel might not be to everyone's taste, particularly if you like dry and rough-feeling strings like Rotosounds.

Fun fact, they're a Gore corporation product, the same people who make the Gore-Tex coating like you find on hiking boots, jackets, tents etc.

20200220_193657.thumb.jpg.934f00bad666c5257557eb690f86df57.jpg

You know the ones that were on my Vigier you briefly played - they’re over two years old!! Love the strings and Elixir are good friends of the forum too. 

• Like 2

Came across an article which said that Ken Smith, after 40 years of making basses, had shifted production to Brubaker guitars in the US in 2019 and, whilst he would still be involved, it would be in a significantly reduced capacity. 

Be interesting what that will mean for the KS brand. Kinda now glad I managed to get mine used as a 2018 build and towards the very end of the old skool KS production set up!

I found out about this before Christmas.  To be honest, the Smith factory is pretty much a production line anyway with the only crafting being the neck joint.  I doubt it will mean much of a change so long as they do things in the same way and have the same wood. 

If Ken manages to delegate Customer Service to someone with tact and sensitivity, the brand might get even more recognition.

I had a chat with Ken about the Brubaker thing before ordering my Black Tiger build. I understand everything is from Ken’s stock, glued up, then sent to Kevin for machining / carving, then back to Ken for electronics / set up etc. 

It was described as Kevin’s workshop being like the next room in Ken’s workshop 😊

To be honest I very nearly went for a Brubaker build when I was weighing up the idea of getting the Smith. He does some wonderful finishes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CamdenRob said:

I had a chat with Ken about the Brubaker thing before ordering my Black Tiger build. I understand everything is from Ken’s stock, glued up, then sent to Kevin for machining / carving, then back to Ken for electronics / set up etc. 

It was described as Kevin’s workshop being like the next room in Ken’s workshop 😊

To be honest I very nearly went for a Brubaker build when I was weighing up the idea of getting the Smith. He does some wonderful finishes.

Did you ask what happens when the existing stock runs out?

9 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Did you ask what happens when the existing stock runs out?

I didn’t, although I did wonder 🤔 

I think he’s got a fair stock of seasoned wood built up so likely won’t be an issue for a few years.

Hopefully someone will carry it on when Ken calls it a day (not that he gave any indication of that being the case any time soon). Not sure how involved his son is. I’ve seen him in a couple of videos on Ken’s Instagram feed recently.

12 hours ago, CamdenRob said:

Incidentally, this could result in a 'Kevin Smith' bass, and I would have zero excuse not to buy a bass with my entire name on it :)

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The bass neck profile is superb.

I've had 1 six string in the past which was the overwater singlecut.  33" neck wonderfully made but at the time I wanted a different sound.

I then went to a BSR5GN which was fantastic.  

I will be going to jam nights locally whenever they are back 

• Like 1

I've left the club - Scott Devine has my bass now! I still think the Smith sound is one of the best and they're some of the most identifiable base out there in terms of sound and looks. IMO the big hitters which are easily identifiable by sound alone are Precision, Jazz, Stingray and Smith. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Ill also add a Zon there

I can see how a graphite bass has a certain sound to it but I don't know if a Zon has a particular sound which is completely distinct to the brand, as they offer so many different configurations anyway - same with Status. But a Smith - they all sound basically the same and can be easily picked out, just like a Jazz or P or MM. IMO of course.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

+1 ^^

I'm sure Zons are excellent basses and maybe it's just my ignorance, but I've never heard folk refer to that distinctive "Zon sound" in the way they do all the time to a P bass or Stingray sound. 

It's mostly because it's defined by pickup position rather than brand, so for example a P bass sound can be a Fender or an Ibanez, doesn't really mater it's the position that gives that ballpark character. Smith have (nearly) always used such unique and specific pickup placement that it has a completely different character which really sets it apart. That's not to say some basses can't do a 'Smith Sound' but I guess there are only so many ways you can place pickups and Smith did that first, or most successfully.

• Like 2