Why become a member? ×

Gretch g2220 Pup upgrade options

thebuckets

just picked one of these up to try out the short scale thing after reading good reviews. Not had a chance to try in a band situation yet so may not need any attention at all/may not be my cup of tea but seems a nice bit of kit.

Bridge and tuners are an easy upgrade as and when and if needed and a loom is a possible easy improvement as only problems people seem to have are the crackly selector switches.

But just wondered if there were any PUP upgrades choices?

• thebuckets changed the title to Gretch g2220 Pup upgrade options
2 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Why do you want to change the pickups? The stock ones are well regarded by many! I'd be focused on the choice to strings being a shortie than the hardware or/and pups.

Dont know if i do tbh. Not had a good runout with the band yet. All my past squeezes have been p or J config with the option to change if you wish. Just thinking ahead and know all other parts are upgradeable/changeable. But am unsure about any choice of pups to suit this size

I had a Gretsch, they are brilliant basses and sound fantastic … I upgraded most the bits that could be upgraded with quality parts. I tried the Artec mini humbuckers but the pole pieces don't align and also don't sound half as good as the stock ones.... if I remember rightly the E string also sounded quieter. TV Jones pickups are not a direct drop in replacement and also expensive...

What I would advise is actually change the wiring, get a Switchcraft 3 way switch and input jack, upgrade to CTS pots and a decent cap ... that will give an audible improvement to an already great sounding instrument... That is what I did, though you will have to slightly widen the holes for the switch and pots etc..

Hope that helps a bit!

Cheers

James.

😎

Good advice re the electrics, I’ve just had mine changed in an MIM Precision. I’m not sure whether it’s all in the mind but when doing this the sound seems more defined. Who knows but they’re certainly better, more reliable parts.

Defined is the right word Lozz… 

It's not a night and day difference but it isn't just imagination . Though I dabbled with the pickups, I upgraded the wiring merely for the reliability and just having quality parts fitted and was quite surprised when I heard the overall tonal difference. I wouldn't say it would make a massive difference in terms of a band mix but certainly for the instrument itself.

😎