Why become a member? ×

Any info on this EBS preamp?

Dandelion

I can't find anything on the Internet.. It is installed on a bass I have aquired.. Any technical info welcomed. Sounds nice..   What I do know is that the preamp the wiring and the pots were installed by Bernie Goodfellow. 

DSC_0686~3.JPG

DSC_0685~2.JPG

Edited by Dandelion

• 2 weeks later...

They were made by EBS for Neuser, about ten to fifteen years ago. They were never sold commercially. That said, some people with good EBS connections were able to get their hands on them so you do see them every now and again.

If I remember correctly they came in 2 (and maybe also 3 band), had a hi cut/mid-boost setting and a normal setting and were very transparent. Glock like.

No more info than that I am afraid.

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 1

HazBeen pretty much summed it up. Bernie got them through to the UK when he was distributing for EBS. They were never sold to the consumer as such - but Bernie would supply them if people asked or when people came into his shop looking for something new in the EQ department. He tended to put them in the KSd basses that he was also distributing because the stock preamp in those was pretty naff in comparison. In the UK, if you find one in  your bass, the chances is that it's come from Bernie... or you've bought one of my old basses 😛

I believe Chris Larkin (RIP) used to put these pres n his basses too. I think he got them direct from EBS, not via the Goodfellow route.

They are treble and bass with a pan and volume and a switch for the mid bump/mid scoop Marcus thing. I've had a look at the manual posted above - and yup, that covers it off pretty comprehensively. Talking of Marcus, this pre in a jazz gives you Marcus in spades. It's a very active sounding pre, certainly not subtle! Great sounding pre though - I remember @stingrayPete1977's Squier J bass project bass sounding amazing once it's electronics had been gutted and replaced with one of these EBS pres and a set of original J bass pickups from Bartolini.

Just out of interest @Dandelion, what bass is in the picture above? I may know the history of it. Looks a bit Statusy?

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...