Why become a member? ×

MIJ JB62 Reissue - bit confused!

Ethan_e241

(Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but just looking for some help!!)

About two months ago I bought this 62 reissue, and I've noticed there are these two holes on the pick guard, and I assume they're there to put a tug bar/thumb rest, but do people actually put one on? I'd like to because it adds to the aesthetic, but I don't want to ruin the guitar by putting a tug bar on. Would I be making a mistake by adding one because it's only a reissue? any help would be appreciated :)

jb 1.JPG

jb 2.JPG

It shouldn't affect the resale value and I agree they look the biz.

Go ahead, but they are not really very practical. I have one on my Precision too. Mainly for retro vibes really.

I would probably drill a couple of neat holes using the pickguard as a template, rather than gouge the wood by forcing the screws in If you are worried about resale value.

Edited by Hobbayne
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stu_g said:

I put one on one of my precisions,the way I see it is if you don't like it, get a pickguard without holes and you will never know there are holes beneath the scratchplate.

Exactly that. I have one of the first run Squier Classic Vibe 60's P basses that would have originally had a black plate and tug bar but when I purchased it the original plate had been changed to a tort one without the holes. I soon bought another black plate with the holes in the correct place and fitted a tug bar as nature intended. Only difference now is that this plate also has the holes for a pickup cover too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you don't want the tug bar but also don't like the look of the undrilled body, take off the scratch plate and stick some black insulating tape under where the holes would be. This leaves it looking like the body had been drilled bit the bar taken off. And reversible!

• Thanks 1