Why become a member? ×

"The Thing" ***SOLD SOLD SOLD***
£123456
Llantrisant

Up for sale is my EUB aka "Thing". 

It's a 1950's double bass neck grafted onto a stainless steel frame (actually the neck has some lovely flaming of the grain) . It has a standard 41.5" double bass string length and an old Schaller magnetic pickup (fully adjustable) proper bridge and nut. People have described the sound as an angry P bass(!). Obviously it can't be bowed but all the ergonomics and dimensions have been copied from my 200yr old "real" double bass. 

The frame is stainless steel and fully adjustable - it collapses into quite a small package. 

It's currently painted in a rather crappy blue/white effect (I must have been drunk at the time...) it was acid etched originally back in 2005 to show off the stainless but I was fed up with finger marks. I guess repainting it black would be the obvious call? 

The Thomastic strings are completely dead, the pickup works perfectly, the paint is chipped in places and it's not exactly light - no case either. 

It's great for loud, great for growly, great for turning heads (sometimes even for the right reasons!). 

I've played it for many corporate events even theatre gigs, weddings and I've played it for Obama, Clinton and our shower of sh*t politicians, the G8 nations conference, TV stuff and most of the European heads of state and all the celebs when they've come to conferences at the Celtic Manor Resort. 

I've absolutely no idea what it's worth? If it's use to someone out there make me an offer (there's about £100 of stainless steel in it). It'll need new strings and a polish /paint. 

Reason for sale - the missus is going nuts (I've got 6 basses - 3 double basses) and she needs the room for women stuff! And my garage is full of clutter so I can't stick it in there... 

What do you think? 

IMG_20190607_152347.jpg

IMG_20190607_152404.jpg

IMG_20190607_152423.jpg

IMG_20190607_152241.jpg

IMG_20190607_152245.jpg

IMG_20190607_152305.jpg

IMG_20190607_152343.jpg

IMG_20190607_152214.jpg

IMG_20190607_152231.jpg

Edited by Bloopdad1
Now sold
  • Like 2

Quite a 'thing' and very original.  I like the engineering that is very different to many (most/all?) EUB solutions.  The P bass reference I fully get, my Schaller on DB was like a P on steroids :).  I am very tempted.

14 minutes ago, alyctes said:

14 minutes ago, alyctes said:

That's very tempting.  Are you sure it can't be bowed?

(Pretty cat :) )

Absolutely sure it can't be bowed... So sure in fact I had to go and buy a NS CR4T stick bass for a tour! 

It's a fun bass and sounds huge! 

(cat not included... 🙀😂😁

Edited by Bloopdad1
Typo
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 3below said:

Quite a 'thing' and very original.  I like the engineering that is very different to many (most/all?) EUB solutions.  The P bass reference I fully get, my Schaller on DB was like a P on steroids :).  I am very tempted.

Thanks for looking. Yes it sounds like a huge monster when going through a 900W amp and a 2x12 cab. 

It's certainly unique! 

I'm looking for it to be played and not have to live in my garage surrounded by bags of cat litter and old paint cans! It has too much history for that fate! 

Make an offer, you might be surprised... 

Having visited Bloopdad, I can confirm, he has indeed got too many basses (only kidding matey!)

But I can confirm "the thing" is quite a beast, but it sounded great in Bloopdads' hands. It seems even more intriguing in the flesh. Rest assured BC members, the seller is a great guy to deal with :)

GLWTS

• Thanks 1

Thanks leschirons, I'm glad you "get it" too. 

That's not far off what I was looking for (closer to £180 if possible).

Today i've been practicing for an upcoming event and "Thing" has been scowling at me from the corner of the room... Needless to say I didn't do any practice as I just plugged Thing in and started grinning! It's a HUGE sound! Proper laugh out loud! It's ridiculous and ludicrous and just plain weird! 

I've just got too many basses to keep it (and frankly it scares all my other basses) :(

No idea about posting it - a courier would refuse as its too weird (ugly?) for them 🤣😜? Probably collection or I can travel a bit if it helps anyone? 

Its just so funny to play! 

14 hours ago, leschirons said:

This looks, (and sounds) like fun so I'll start us off (admittedly,  I've not explored the logistics of this but who cares as it looks so weird, its brilliant)

I'm in  £125

😆

19 minutes ago, Bloopdad1 said:

Thanks leschirons, I'm glad you "get it" too. 

That's not far off what I was looking for (closer to £180 if possible).

Today i've been practicing for an upcoming event and "Thing" has been scowling at me from the corner of the room... Needless to say I didn't do any practice as I just plugged Thing in and started grinning! It's a HUGE sound! Proper laugh out loud! It's ridiculous and ludicrous and just plain weird! 

I've just got too many basses to keep it (and frankly it scares all my other basses) :(

No idea about posting it - a courier would refuse as its too weird (ugly?) for them 🤣😜? Probably collection or I can travel a bit if it helps anyone? 

Its just so funny to play! 

I'm  in France. However this has not really been a problem in the past. In fact, I'll be driving over in July to pick up the two youngest grandkids  from Torquay to bring back to France.

That's about 3/4 of the trip right there.

Does it break down or is it permanently full size?

14 minutes ago, leschirons said:

I'm  in France. However this has not really been a problem in the past. In fact, I'll be driving over in July to pick up the two youngest grandkids  from Torquay to bring back to France.

That's about 3/4 of the trip right there.

Does it break down or is it permanently full size?

Thing folds down to about half it's size. The end pin retracts about 2 foot and the "belly brace" completely folds away. 

That's all that's left is the metal frame and neck. 

Not sure about posting as it's heavy but you're welcome to arrange a courier.

See additional pics for sizes. 

IMG_20190610_150256.jpg

IMG_20190610_150336.jpg

Edited by Bloopdad1
Added extra pics

13 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Leaving price aside for the moment, how desperate are you to get this out of the house time-wise?

I'm not desperate, it's only a case of it taking up room. 

I played it very regularly up until 2012 when I bought a NS CR4T. Since then it's lived on top of my stairs gathering dust! (hence the dead strings). 

If you are serious about buying Thing I am more than happy to hang on to it for you. 

14 minutes ago, frannie01 said:

Hi Interesting looking instrument just a couple of quetions

1) how close to a double bass  sound,do you get ?

2) Where are you based ?

3) price wise what are we talking between £200-300.00 ?

Cheers

Paul 

Hi Paul

Some people say it sounds like a double bass but I disagree... With the Schaller magnetic pickup and with no acoustic properties I think it sounds like a huge P bass (can't be bowed either). I use my Yamaha SLB if I need a sound closer to the real thing. 

Although with the double bass neck it does feel EXACTLY like a DB. 

I'm in S Wales just outside Cardiff 

Price - I'd like a million pounds mwahahah...! (but as its a hand built thing with a stupid paint job I recon just below £200 would do it). I just want it to be played. There's a lot of my time gone into it, would be a shame to leave it gathering dust. 

Cheers 

Graham