Why become a member? ×

Ballsy dark tone that cuts through, how to get?

markdavid

Hi all

As per the thread title am after some advice with regards to eq, I have a Squier Jaguar p/j bass and a Hofner club , am trying to get a dark-ish tone that cuts through but am clueless when it comes to eq, whenever I try to get this kind of tone I just end up with mud,  I am using TI  flatwounds on all my basses so wondering if maybe rounds are the missing piece of the puzzle.

For a frame of reference the kind of bass tone I am aiming for is something like  London calling by the Clash ,  the bass is fairly dark sounding without being muddy  and it cuts through really well

Thanks

The expensive answer might be a different bass: "dark" makes me think Thunderbird. I've heard them described as a P-bass on steroids - a lot of the same characteristics but with more thickness, and less brightness.

The less expensive answer is that you're probably right about the strings. Not a Clash expert, but I'm fairly sure Paul Simonon played a Precision with rounds. I'd have thought you could get pretty close to that tone by popping said rounds on, soloing the P pickup, and maybe playing with the tone control to suit taste. Rounds are often characterised as being all "clank" and "growl" whilst flats are more of a "thump" - and it sounds like "growl" is what you're after.

Just now, EliasMooseblaster said:

The expensive answer might be a different bass: "dark" makes me think Thunderbird. I've heard them described as a P-bass on steroids - a lot of the same characteristics but with more thickness, and less brightness.

The less expensive answer is that you're probably right about the strings. Not a Clash expert, but I'm fairly sure Paul Simonon played a Precision with rounds. I'd have thought you could get pretty close to that tone by popping said rounds on, soloing the P pickup, and maybe playing with the tone control to suit taste. Rounds are often characterised as being all "clank" and "growl" whilst flats are more of a "thump" - and it sounds like "growl" is what you're after.

Yes, I agree about the Thunderbird, I hear that darker, thicker kind of tone on Charmer by Kings of leon (another great bass tone) , thanks will try rounds on the P and see if that works

It largely depends on what it is you're trying to cut through. There is no default "cuts-through" EQ setting. If the other components of your band push the same frequencies do you, then you're all fighting over the same sonic space and it sounds like mush. You've got to work with the other instruments, give each other room. Generally, definition will come from mids and high frequencies so, unless the other instruments are thin and trebly sounding, you won't hear yourself if your tone is all low end. You've got to have mids in there. Don't set your bass tone in isolation. What sounds good on its own frequently sounds crap in the context of other instruments.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markdavid said:

Hi all

As per the thread title am after some advice with regards to eq, I have a Squier Jaguar p/j bass and a Hofner club , am trying to get a dark-ish tone that cuts through but am clueless when it comes to eq, whenever I try to get this kind of tone I just end up with mud,  I am using TI  flatwounds on all my basses so wondering if maybe rounds are the missing piece of the puzzle.

For a frame of reference the kind of bass tone I am aiming for is something like  London calling by the Clash ,  the bass is fairly dark sounding without being muddy  and it cuts through really well

Thanks

As others have said, cutting through is as much about not fighting with the other instruments for sonic space. 

I'm not that familiar with the amp but if I was trying to get this tone I'd start by turning down the bass and treble knobs on the EQ, then see where to go from there. Probably a bit of drive and possibly boost the low mids a bit 

Whilst agreeing with the comments about what 'cutting through' might mean and it being dependent on the sonic spaces of the band in general, I've found that using both pickups on a P/J tends to scoop the sound, and move it away from the Dark Side...I almost exclusively turn the bridge pickup off (I dunno why I have them, to be honest). Other than that, I'd agree with Roundwounds and a pick. Embrace the low mids; they are your friends... 😀

Guest MoJo

P-bass - Roundwound Strings - Pick - Fender Rumble 500. Job done.

If you're anywhere near the Prince of Wales in Stafford tonight, you'll see/hear how that combination works

This guy nails the Paul Simonon sound.

You should get very, very close with your gear - Select the P pickup on your Jag (Volume on full, Tone about 80%) > Roundwound or Half round strings (NOT flats) > Pick (optional, but you will need to dig into the strings when playing) > Set your amp to 'Vintage' and add Gain and Drive to get some mild overdrive. Cut Treble, add Low Mids and a little Bass.

• Like 2

Guest MoJo
5 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Set your amp to 'Vintage' and add Gain and Drive to get some mild overdrive. Cut Treble, add Low Mids and a little Bass.

Never tried the 'Vintage' setting with the Drive section on. Going to give it a go tonight

1 minute ago, jazzmanb said:

I'd love that driven crunchy sound you hear on records without losing the lovely bottom end noise I make .Sadly I think unless you're Geddy or Justin Chancellor with lots of resource(££) its a tough one 

Or get a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes Bass Overdrive Pedal.

4 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Or get a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes Bass Overdrive Pedal.

Borrowed a darkglass,not sure which and it was canny but only canny.Probably haven't got the patience or enough interest to pursue it .Resigned to a bit of bite from the Amp 

59 minutes ago, jazzmanb said:

I'd love that driven crunchy sound you hear on records without losing the lovely bottom end noise I make .Sadly I think unless you're Geddy or Justin Chancellor with lots of resource(££) its a tough one 

Drop your string height, and/or hit the strings harder...that'll do it 🙂

Guest MoJo
47 minutes ago, Grangur said:

This guy seems pretty well informed..    :P

What's Hugh Laurie doing with Paul Simonon's bass?

Forget about what it sounds like when you are on your own. I can get the fattest most gorgeous sounds from my Thunderbird but the same settings give a boomy mush when I play with the rest of the band. By comparison my Jazz that sounds quite trebley on its own cuts through well. I use a bottom heavy Orange Terror 1000w amp and have to turn the bottom end of the eq down completely to get a decent sound from the Thunderbird.