Why become a member? ×

What is a Vintage Modified?

prowla

Just one of their lines. When you think you get use to Fender and Squier lines... they go and change them :D

Basically, Affinity is the bottom series. Some actually are decent, but expect to do some little work. Vintage Modified are definitely ok. I would not say they're amazing although individual instruments can be quite good. Frankly, I would say they're on a par with Fender MIM from the late 90s or early 2000s. Then they have the Classic Vibe instruments. Now THESE are really nice. Or they used to be, as I hear that lately they're not as good as they used to but I haven't tried one in ages. I have owned a couple of CV basses and still own one. They're very decent instruments.

I prefer Classic Vibe '70s P bass (spec'd the same as the former Matt Freeman sig. model) to any other P besides a friend's Custom Shop. Thin neck, lovely playability  and the right Precision clonk for my taste. I agree the CVs are superior to the VMs, build and finish feels and look better IME and I like the offered models better too.

Edited by andruca

53 minutes ago, prowla said:

Ah yes - CV as well... 🙂

But what are the differences?

I would assume they are as the name implies

Vintage modified - Like a vintage instrument that has been tweaked or upgraded throughout the years in an effort to keep it somewhat up to date, like an affordable "best of both worlds"

Classic Vibe - A modern version of a classic instrument, modern production methods, but vintage specs, again, a different "best of both worlds"

But as I've never played either I could be totally wrong. 

I believe with the CV series, it was an attempt to recreate a replica of a bass correct to a certain era on a limited budget - so the choice of parts, colours, pickup placements, etc, would be in keeping with a '50s, '60s or '70s Fender. There have been rumours that they were using Tonerider pickups in the CV series (as opposed to using Squier or Fender-licensed equivalents), which sounded very impressive: I came within a gnat's whisker of pulling the trigger on a '60 CV Precision years ago.

VM, I'm less sure about the specifics - particularly as they didn't seem to be associating the basses with a particular era in the same way. I thought their fretless P and J were both very good, though I was completely new to fretless when I tried them. Interesting to note that they used ebanol fingerboards on those (wasn't a fan at the time, but imagine I'd be warmer towards it these days); I don't know whether this was also true of the fretted options.

28 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I believe with the CV series, it was an attempt to recreate a replica of a bass correct to a certain era on a limited budget - so the choice of parts, colours, pickup placements, etc, would be in keeping with a '50s, '60s or '70s Fender. There have been rumours that they were using Tonerider pickups in the CV series (as opposed to using Squier or Fender-licensed equivalents), which sounded very impressive: I came within a gnat's whisker of pulling the trigger on a '60 CV Precision years ago.

VM, I'm less sure about the specifics - particularly as they didn't seem to be associating the basses with a particular era in the same way. I thought their fretless P and J were both very good, though I was completely new to fretless when I tried them. Interesting to note that they used ebanol fingerboards on those (wasn't a fan at the time, but imagine I'd be warmer towards it these days); I don't know whether this was also true of the fretted options.

I sort of got the feeling that the VMs were basses from a certain period with 'upgrades' someone had done to them, I suppose you could say it was trying to feel modded. For example, my Precision VM is quite 70's in looks, but then you've got these meatier pickups in it. I could be wrong, I usually am 😀

23 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I sort of got the feeling that the VMs were basses from a certain period with 'upgrades' someone had done to them, I suppose you could say it was trying to feel modded. For example, my Precision VM is quite 70's in looks, but then you've got these meatier pickups in it. I could be wrong, I usually am 😀

It would make sense, given the name! I seem to remember the VM Jazz Fretless being sans pickguard, so I did wonder whether it had been designed with a nod to Jaco's best-known instrument - i.e., a modified '70s Jazz. (Any idea what this meaty pickup was that they put into the VM Precision, incidentally?)