Why become a member? ×

Advice please on Steinberger EUBs

Bute Bass

I am considering switching from bass guitar to an EUB.

Any comments regarding Steinberger NXTa 4 or 5 string basses welcomed. There seems to be a large price difference between the passive and  active models. Is the extra cost worthwhile? Is there a noticeable difference in the sound?

I'll be looking out for an instrument at the end of the summer or possibly earlier, so if you are selling please advise details. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

As you’re collecting information, also consider what you’d like from the instrument. Many people find that they want a double bass eventually after getting an EUB (though not everyone, of course). You could try renting a double bass for a few months with a few lessons to sort out the left hand, to ease you in before investing. 

I've had a NXT5 for about 4 years.  I wasn't aware there was an active version, must be a new thing.  

Mine came out the box with a lovely low bass guitar type action which I've kept.  I'm not a bower, but when I have feebly tried I think the action would need to be raised for that as you just constantly catch 2 strings at once.  

I find that when I stand next to it while playing it doesn't sound very DB, but if you listen to a recording of it from across the room, it really does.  Weird, but that's how it is for me.

I love mine, not sure of this is helping you make up your mind though 😄

• Like 1

On 05/07/2019 at 10:27, DanOwens said:

My NS gets a great DB sound but I keep the action suitably high; I have an early CR4M.

I have an early CR4M too and the DB sound is very good. I use DB strings (Spirocores) and a hair scrunchy around the bridge to curb sustain.

14 hours ago, Opticaleye said:

I have an early CR4M too and the DB sound is very good. I use DB strings (Spirocores) and a hair scrunchy around the bridge to curb sustain.

I've had Helicore Hybrids on for nearly two decades, but I recently thought I'd experiment so I'm trying some synthetics at the mo.