Why become a member? ×

I'd like a P, please, Bob....

mangotango

When I first got back into bass playing a couple of years ago, all I had to knock about on was my son's Squier Bronco. Then I had the chance to try out for my current band and felt the need to take along something a bit better, so I called on a mate who had once loaned me his Precision Lyte, which I had really liked. (When I had the loan, I think that he was trying to persuade me to buy it, but at the time I wasn't playing bass much and couldn't justify the expense). Unfortunately, he'd sold the P-Lyte and he let me borrow his Jazz Bass instead, because I'd always been a Jazz player when younger.

Once I had the gig, he offered me the chance to take the Jazz off his hands, but I still couldn't justify lashing out on an American Fender Jazz at that stage and so I ended up with my Bass Collection SB300-and-something, which has a lovely neck and P/J configuration. Just the job, and even now in my 5-string and fretless days, it still gets the occasional outing at a jazz gig or somesuch.

However, having been a long-time Fender player, I really fancied one of Leo's lovelies in my collection. Back in the 1970's I had a Jazz, because the Precisions that I could find at the time all had massively chunky, baseball-bat necks. Having tried out a few more modern versions, though, I found that I'm getting on with them OK now, and so the GAS was born. On the way to the Basschat Southern Bass Bash before last, when I was giving @Stingray5 a lift, while chatting in the car, we separately came to the inescapable conclusion that we each wanted a Precision!! Still more time has passed since then.....and there have been loads of threads on here that frankly, haven't helped, guys. The one from Rubis of his build of his P-bass is exactly the kind of thing that I shouldn't have been reading, if I'm honest!! :P 

Then last weekend I did some recording and for one tune, I used my Bass Collection, now sporting a new set of Rotosound flats, and solo'ed on the P pickup, for an old-school sort of sound.....and of course, as a result the GAS is now back and in full effect. I have and love my Spectors for the vast majority of things that I do; but, I just fancy a P-bass.

I surely can't be alone in all of this? Is there a way out of it, or do I just bite the bullet and start looking in earnest for something that's going to scratch this itch - for now?

Edited by mangotango
  • Like 2

As you`ve said that you`re not keen on chubber-necks, check out the new Player Precisions, much slimmer depth necks on these. I`ve just scored one, bought it primarily as my bass for flying with (so as no damage to expensive, no longer produced range of US ones that I like), but have been so knocked out with how good it is and how comfortable it is to play I`ve given myself a real question by buying this bass. As in, do I just move on my more expensive US ones and buy another Player? Gonna use it for the next month exclusively to make my decision, as gigging/rehearsing rather than using at home is the leader on my basses, that`s how I find out what suits, but whatever conclusion I come to I`d recommend taking a look at this range.

• Like 1

I was off P basses for a long time. But this was because I once had a 1970's Fender P, and it was heavy as hell, and the neck felt huge. Not just wide, but deep too...
Much to chunky for my liking - yet I liked the sound of it, and the general "feel" of the quality, construction etc

Nowadays, as the years roll on, weight has become more of an issue, and whether I wanted one or not, that old 70's P would do my shoulder, and possibly my back in.
I've also found that I really like the modern C profile / shape P bass neck, and that it's not so much the width of a P bass that I don't like. I can cope with that. I don't mind a narrower, deeper neck either
But I just don't like necks to be wide AND deep (fussy old git eh? lol)

What I have noticed, from playing Fender Japan Precisions, is that they tend to be P bass width, but shallower - and for some reason, all the Fender Japan necks I've tried have just felt lovely and comfortable. What amazes me, is that even after quite a few years, Fender necks can feel so different from one another - even those from similar eras :o

Yes, everyone needs a P bass in their armoury. Personally, I really like a P/J too. I find that often works for me, no matter what I'm playing - I'll get a sound I like, and one that cuts through, or sits just right in the mix

Have fun, and good luck with your search for your "ultimate P bass" :)

Edited by Marc S

51 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Personally, I really like a P/J too. I find that often works for me, no matter what I'm playing - I'll get a sound I like, and one that cuts through, or sits just right in the mix

I go along with this, too. I had a Chandler P/J bass back around the mid-80's which played and felt really nice (see pic). Can't think why I got rid of it. Probably to go towards whatever came next! 🙄 :)

fourgtrs2a.thumb.jpg.1d3dfd2140b1157db8f2f3ddac0fa877.jpg

Yep, took me almost 30 years to realise the sound and bass I wanted was pretty much the same one I started with. P basses rock... I have 5😂.

Oh and if I were you I would look for a Nate Mendel Sig series ( Sure there's one on here, just sold mine ). Amazing quality, sound, nice neck and 40mm nut and plays killer. You wouldn't be disappointed.

Edited by walshy

2 hours ago, Marc S said:

I've also found that I really like the modern C profile / shape P bass neck, and that it's not so much the width of a P bass that I don't like. I can cope with that. I don't mind a narrower, deeper neck either
But I just don't like necks to be wide AND deep (fussy old git eh? lol)

What I have noticed, from playing Fender Japan Precisions, is that they tend to be P bass width, but shallower - and for some reason, all the Fender Japan necks I've tried have just felt lovely and comfortable. What amazes me, is that even after quite a few years, Fender necks can feel so different from one another - even those from similar eras :o

My 61 and 64 have that lovely wide and shallow “C type” neck which is so comfortable to play. The Japanese Fenders are also fantastic - a FSR 60s Precision Lacquer was my gateway, and I recently acquired an 84 Squier MIJ medium scale Precision with an absolutely killer neck too. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

As you`ve said that you`re not keen on chubber-necks, check out the new Player Precisions, much slimmer depth necks on these. I`ve just scored one, bought it primarily as my bass for flying with (so as no damage to expensive, no longer produced range of US ones that I like), but have been so knocked out with how good it is and how comfortable it is to play I`ve given myself a real question by buying this bass. As in, do I just move on my more expensive US ones and buy another Player? Gonna use it for the next month exclusively to make my decision, as gigging/rehearsing rather than using at home is the leader on my basses, that`s how I find out what suits, but whatever conclusion I come to I`d recommend taking a look at this range.

Assuming that you’re using it on Saturday I’ll keep a close ear on how it sounds.

44 minutes ago, joeystrange said:

Assuming that you’re using it on Saturday I’ll keep a close ear on how it sounds.

Yeah think I’m gonna bite the bullet and use it. Looking forward to Sat, should be a good evening/gig, great line up.

• Like 1

Remember it’s not just fender that make good P’s, other makes do them too and neck profiles may suit you. 

My bitsa P with a status neck would happily compete side by side with anything the fender factory churned out, but also there is a G&L LB100 for sale on here I think, and they are killer bases too. Probably my other bitsa P with a creamery 58 pick up and tonestyler knob would also do the job.

Loads to have fun with out there

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Remember it’s not just fender that make good P’s, other makes do them too and neck profiles may suit you. 

My bitsa P with a status neck would happily compete side by side with anything the fender factory churned out, but also there is a G&L LB100 for sale on here I think, and they are killer bases too. Probably my other bitsa P with a creamery 58 pick up and tonestyler knob would also do the job.

Loads to have fun with out there

Yep, fully accept that. I  had a look at the Marcus Miller P7's recently, when I was searching to upgrade my main basses, and liked those. I'd love a Sandberg, but even second-hand, that's going to be way above budget , though an Electra might work ....

All in all, it's the style not the name on the headstock, but I have to say, Fender will probably be my starting point. Ditto for basic P, though obviously P/J also works for me.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Edited by mangotango

12 minutes ago, mangotango said:

All in all, it's the style not the name on the headstock, but I have to say, Fender will probably be my starting point. Ditto for basic P, though obviously P/J also works for me.

This sounds like a call for me to drop in and say...

Schecter Model T?

Not the easiest things to track down these days, but they don't cost much more than a Mexican Fender, and they play as nicely as most of the American Fenders I've tried. Seymour Duncan P/J in the passive ones, EMGs in the active version, and generally very well-regarded basses. Nice slender neck as well - more like a Jazz in its profile.

Schecter are bloody great, bitsa with the right parts can be done for very little money.

Sandberg are brilliant and the Electra range is great value as it’s put together back in Germany so great QC.

ESP often get overlooked, but again, real good bases, not even ‘for the money’.

Remember a Bass is a shell, you can pick up a half decent body and whack a different pick up in it

• Like 2

On 06/06/2019 at 14:53, mangotango said:

I have and love my Spectors for the vast majority of things that I do; but, I just fancy a P-bass.

The solution to your dilemma :)  There's one on here for sale.

1719047626_EuroLE401.thumb.jpg.aa5a6bc42269f6d3594b2ea3913c533b.jpg

Edited by ead
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mangotango said:

Looks fab, ticks many boxes indeed...except, at £1500, the box marked "within my budget"  :sad:

Yeah, sorry :(  Got mine for considerably less than that but it was still a 4 digit number starting with a 1.

• Like 1

Other than the weight (obviously variable) and the extra pickup and preamp I wouldn't use myself, I'd heartily recommend Sire basses. The couple of J basses I've owned/played have been outstanding.

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:08, ead said:

Yeah, sorry :(  Got mine for considerably less than that but it was still a 4 digit number starting with a 1.

No probs. Now if had been a 3 digit number beginning with a 1.....all over it like a rash! :lol:

Edited by mangotango
  • Haha 1

I played cheap basses most of my 40 years of playing. But this latest time around, after a break, I bought a Fender MIM Jazz, and was happy,as I played Jazz copies in the past. But then I bought an Am Std P bass and BOOM, all of a sudden my playing sounded just like all the songs I've been listening to for over 57 years lol.

Just get one.

I’m a bit of a Maruszczyk fanboy, so I have to give a shout out for their Jake bass, a P bass with a slightly narrower nut width (not J bass slim though) if you buy off the peg. My recent Pino-alike purchase.

A80F90B2-5643-4F57-A3DE-BC464DAA5CA0.jpeg

Sounds like a P to me.

Edited by ezbass

Well, I tried out some P-basses this weekend.

Precision Player - tried one in one store, wasn't particularly impressed. Bit nothing really; didn't like the sticky feel of the neck. Tried another one in another store. Slightly better sound, still same impression overall. Interestingly, both of these basses had the bridge saddles jacked up as high as they would go. Shops should have done a better set-up, maybe, rather than just sticking them out on display?

Squier Classic Vibe 60's Precision. Even more meh. Better set-up. Dull tone.

Sandberg Electra - Good sound, but felt that I couldn't live with the slightly chunkier neck than I'd like.

More trials to come.