Why become a member? ×

Swingmasters, Golden Slaps or....?

DanOwens

Yet another of these threads! 

I have Innovation Rockabilly Blacks on my doghouse, Helicore Hybrid Mediums on my NS and (I think) Obligatos on my new SLB100. I also have some Innovation Honey Jazz and Braided Orchestrals in a box somewhere. 

I want to move a bit more toward slap on the SLB since I can install a J-Tone under the fingerboard and I've got a Zoom A3 to properly EQ everything. I don't mind slapping on the doghouse or the NS (obviously the Helicore's are a bit more hard work).

I'd rather not take the strings off the doghouse, but do any of my other strings lean towards a good slap tone (in your experience)? I don't have much time to be switching strings and tuning and plugging in and then trying to figure out what it sounded like 3 sets ago. I'm keen to hear your experiences, and whether or not I can justify a £100 expense the same month I need car insurance and a new phone!!!

Also, I like hearing your opinions!

Never slapped Helicore or Obligatos, but the Innovation Braided orchestrals have good dark slap sound. Only trouble is the concert pitch set will be a bit high tension ... the solo set are much nicer for slapping - one of my preferred strings for slap in fact, they are comparable to the MUCH more expensive Evah slaps.

15 hours ago, PaulKing said:

Never slapped Helicore or Obligatos, but the Innovation Braided orchestrals have good dark slap sound. Only trouble is the concert pitch set will be a bit high tension ... the solo set are much nicer for slapping - one of my preferred strings for slap in fact, they are comparable to the MUCH more expensive Evah slaps.

I'd like to think my hand strength isn't too bad (although my technique could use a bit of work). I've string it up with the braided and see...

I get a sound I'm happy with, using Innovation Silver Slaps (Think mine are Gold - but I've been told Gold & Silver Slaps are the same)
I really like them, but haven't compared them with too many other of the more "slappable" strings. They definitely sound better slapped than the Honeys...

incidentally, I've not tried the Rockabilly Blacks - what do you reckon to those?
Let us know how you get on, and what you decide on.... 

1 hour ago, Marc S said:

incidentally, I've not tried the Rockabilly Blacks - what do you reckon to those?

I actually love their sound and feel, but their low tension means the volume isn't great on the doghouse.

Edited by DanOwens

1 hour ago, DanOwens said:

I actually love their sound and feel, but their low tension means the volume isn't great on the doghouse.

Innovation Silvers take a little while to settle in. They aren't terribly loud, but I've only got much higher tension strings to compare them with.
I've a feeling they have got a bit louder as they've aged - but that's only a "feeling" could easily be my imagination lol

2 hours ago, Marc S said:

Innovation Silvers take a little while to settle in. They aren't terribly loud, but I've only got much higher tension strings to compare them with.
I've a feeling they have got a bit louder as they've aged - but that's only a "feeling" could easily be my imagination lol

I think I just need to hang fire and hold out for some second hand strings!!

15 hours ago, DanOwens said:

I think I just need to hang fire and hold out for some second hand strings!!

Well, you know where I am Dan. My Golden Slaps are available for you to try and if you like them, they are for sale. If you don't like them, take them off and give them back to me. Risk free 😊

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mr zed said:

Well, you know where I am Dan. My Golden Slaps are available for you to try and if you like them, they are for sale. If you don't like them, take them off and give them back to me. Risk free 😊

Sounds like an offer you can't refuse mate. How generous is this? Go for it... Otherwise, how will you ever know? :)

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, mr zed said:

Wow! I was reluctant to take you up in case I liked them too much and had to take them off! I used to be so much more active here; I forgot how nice everyone is!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1