Why become a member? ×

TE bright box

I've always wanted to try one of these, just because, but £180 + courier from County Down is a bit steep for what is likely to be a curiosity - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trace-Elliott-Bass-Bright-Box-Very-Rare/153513479686

Still, they don't come up very often any more and for Trace addicts with deeper pockets than me it might be worth a look...

I've had a couple of these including the older one that could be angled back and I remain dubious if they actually do anything or if they're just for psychological  purposes to make you feel better about the big cab blowing air at the back of your knees

I remember those!

I made a lovely box and stuck two Maplins 100W Piezo tweeters in it with a pair of 10 ohm power resistors and a big wirewound potentiometer.

It certainly boosts 'slap and pop' sounds, but it's main function was/is to make my stack look even bigger...

image.thumb.png.ab16590b039adbe0a830b5e4b4af35ec.png

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I remember those!

I made a lovely box and stuck two Maplins 100W Piezo tweeters in it with a pair of 10 ohm power resistors and a big wirewound potentiometer.

It certainly boosts 'slap and pop' sounds, but it's main function was/is to make my stack look even bigger...

At least it’s happy.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I remember those!

Please tell me that wasn't your stage EQ curve? 😉

• Haha 1

I blame Doug Wimbish for the initial flurry of buying these things back in the late '80s. He was a poster-boy for Trace back then and I recall a photo of a AH500, 4x10, 1x15 rig with the Brite Box. Remember some guys in a music shop saying if you had a 4x10 the BB was redundant.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think there's a proper filter in there, maybe a coupla caps, back to back.

either way, not difficult to lower the filter pass frequency, they are nice-ish 5" speakers, so could be quite effective, with a little effort.

Mmmmmm.... I've an 18"" trace cab, I could try that with !