Why become a member? ×

SBL looking for new Director of Operations.

Painy

This sort of cringe-inducing business speak is everywhere now but this advert is a particularly egregious example of this waffle. The whole thing bumbled on for so long with this tortured nonsense whilst having very little to say about the role really entailed, which leaves me to think at this point, that may still be ill-defined. I note the advert states in a roundabout way that no employee can argue that a task is outside of their remit, so they're probably still drawing up a list of boring business tasks to blast over to the successful applicant. 

SBL has indeed enjoyed a meteoric rise in popularity the past few years, so it is probably more and more in need of business staff. Whether or not they can attract the best with an advert that bad remains to be seen. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

So get an Operations Director in before investors impose one on you...

It'll be the other way round... If they (capital investors) have looked, they'll have said get your business is shape with robust operations before you see our investment. But frankly I doubt they would invest: online training possibly but for an atrophying music and ageing customer base possibly not. Unless its a precursor to a sale to a larger online music lesson provider or retailer.Possibly Fender or Thomann. Cue big focus on the female Taylor Swift inspired demographic (fair enough) and shudder our new guitar school! Gasp.

6 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

I note the advert states in a roundabout way that no employee can argue that a task is outside of their remit, so they're probably still drawing up a list of boring business tasks to blast over to the successful applicant. 

To be fair to Scott I don't think I've seen any job spec that doesn't have the catch all "and any such tasks as required..." From student waiting jobs to decent salaried business positions. But yes, it does seem as if it's not very well defined.

While I've criticised, constructively I hope, I respect Scott and what he's doing in general. If you strip down the job ad to what's really needed then for someone who's experience in social media stuff and subscription based products then it could be a great opportunity. As a few have mentioned the challenge will be to expand the range of services and retain membership. Not easy when there isn't decades of similar businesses having gone before to learn from. And fair play to Scott, he's helping people of all abilities get in to bass playing and get more out of their time playing bass, and he's been there and done it, he's no chancer who's accidentally created this by dumb luck.

• Like 2