Why become a member? ×

SBL looking for new Director of Operations.

Painy

I got mailed this. It reads to me like Scott is looking for someone to take the business on and drive it forward in an aggressive marketing style, leaving Scott to have more family life, make videos and  play bass.

It's not going to be an easy gig to fill.

I agree with post #2. Despite the large number of words, it seems very short on the actual detail of what you'll be doing day-to-day.

For example, "must be comfortable with solving problems in a practical and healthy manner". I am trying to think of an example of someone who is comfortable solving problems in an unhealthy and impractical way.

My dog can tick off half of the skills listed on the advert.

• Like 2

Couple of observations:

•The advert starts by claiming SBL has a 1.5 million “reach” but by the end of the advert the “reach has diminished considerably to 1 million. It’s a business in decline!

• It requires a bachelor, so my wife says I can’t apply

• “That’s not my job isn’t in the job description”. So cleaning up “big jobs” IS on the job description.

I’m out! 

GLWTS 😉

• Haha 1

I feel sorry for young people today. IME, job ads have been heading in this direction for the last twenty years or so. Tons of pious crap like "must be prepared to crawl over broken glass and barbed wire to deliver against key performance metrics; world-class team engagement skills 200% essential".

IMO, bonkers job ads stem from the fashionable idea of superimposing inappropriately controlling and over-complicated management techniques on otherwise simple jobs.  It's all of a one with the kind of buzzword bingo which suffuses meetings, 'mission statements' and corporate press releases. Hot drinks machines become 'beverage vending solutions'. Ratcatchers become 'rodent extermination executives'. It is not enough that a company simply does whatever it is they do; they must be 'passionate' about it. It's linguistic hyper-inflation.

I am reminded of the Simpsons' episode where some Hollywood types are sat round a table discussing something and one of them is banging on in corporate speak and a colleague says something like:

"So, basically, we're all randomly using big words so that other people think we're smart? (pause) I'm fired, aren't I?"

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 10
  • Haha 4

I don’t really want to just type and diss, but honestly these two lines would make me run a mile for a plethora of reasons. 

• Collaborate and stay on the same page with the CEO at all times.
  • Filters and translates the CEO’s ideas into functional plans for the company.
  • Like 5

I thought it all sounded pretty reasonable, but then I work in that sphere. It’s a multi-faceted job (not business speak, just a word), likely with a relatively substantial wage, so if you’re seriously applying, you’ll know your worth and that you’ll be expected to demonstrate why they should pay that.

Si

2 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

For example, "must be comfortable with solving problems in a practical and healthy manner". I am trying to think of an example of someone who is comfortable solving problems in an unhealthy and impractical way.

Me - I know some people who would be expert at solving problems in unhealthy and impractical ways. In fact, at my last job the whole company was geared to that. And I am not joking!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I thought it all sounded pretty reasonable, but then I work in that sphere. It’s a multi-faceted job (not business speak, just a word), likely with a relatively substantial wage, so if you’re seriously applying, you’ll know your worth and that you’ll be expected to demonstrate why they should pay that.

Si

So the ad could have said:

”Lots of different things to do, let’s chat about pay” 🥳

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

So the ad could have said:

”Lots of different things to do, let’s chat about pay” 🥳

If you want to look through 1000 CV’s as opposed to 20....sure 😂

Si

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

I'm outrageously organised, although no-one appears to see that as a positive 

I have the contents of my cupboard alphabetised from Actimel all the way to zucchini although problems arise when I'm faced with whether to put the Pot Noodles under P or N.

I still have no idea what a key performance indicator is 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

That’s when you choose something to measure employee performance, which ironically then leads to overall poor results.

For example if a programmer gets rated on how many lines of code they write per day, they will churn out lots of inefficient code instead of thinking how to simplify 100 lines down to 10.

Also team members will spend less time doing things that aren’t measured, such as sharing knowledge and helping others.

Therefore a load of rowlocks!

• Like 2

When reading job ads I enjoy speculating as to how the employer came up with the list of 'character requirements'.

When an ad emphasises a need for 'honesty' 'directness' and an unwillingness to 'play the blame game' I wonder about the previous incumbent and whether this weighed upon the recruiter's mind.

"So what kind of person do we need?"

"Well, no one like Bob, that's for sure. Got up everyone's nose, his team hated him. Totally clueless about the industry"

"Stole the cash from the coffee fund. Boffed his PA.  Got drunk and slagged us all off at the Trade Show, totalled his car and said someone had stolen it"

"So: open, direct, a great mentor, a passion for values alignment..."

"Values alignment? What does that mean?"

"Dunno, but it sounds good".

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

"Values alignment? What does that mean?"

Solved - f*** off and do as I told you :)

(this is an advanced form of management and leadership technique that took years of experience to develop and codify)

Edited by 3below
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

That’s when you choose something to measure employee performance, which ironically then leads to overall poor results.

For example if a programmer gets rated on how many lines of code they write per day, they will churn out lots of inefficient code instead of thinking how to simplify 100 lines down to 10.

Also team members will spend less time doing things that aren’t measured, such as sharing knowledge and helping others.

Therefore a load of rowlocks!

That's just a bad KPI.
KPI's are usually set by managers, therefore the manager in that example is a load of rowlocks, not the concept of KPI's :)

Si

18 minutes ago, Sibob said:

That's just a bad KPI.
KPI's are usually set by managers, therefore the manager in that example is a load of rowlocks, not the concept of KPI's :)

Si

Even the most well intentioned KPIs have unintended consequences, my profession has suffered the consequences of them since 1992.  I frequently take comfort from the quote

"We trained hard . . . but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization."

Edited by 3below
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Delberthot said:

I don't understand most of that as I am not in management and have expended considerable energy to keep it that way, but I know what that is.

And its P, unless you have a variety of noodles and want to sub categorise. :D

Edited by Woodinblack