Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones C4 or C8 standard or Piranha Cab

6feet7

I've just gone and got myself a Phil Jones Compact Suitcase BG-400 and am so impressed I've just sold all my Markbass stuff, so the PJ setup will cover both my electric band and my double bass band. My question here is, which cab?

The C4 will take me up to 500w. The C8 will go to 575w. Both are small in size, but the C4 1/2 the size and the price of the C8, and what's the Piranha version of the C8?

Is there a dramatic difference in volume/sound between the cabs? I'm not always in a situation where decent FOH is available, and our drummer is quite loud. Do the extra 75w really make a difference? and apart from price, what's the difference between the C8 standard and C8 Piranha (I've looked online and am none the wiser)

Help.

Edited by 6feet7

Welcome to the PJB club. In my experience, once you tried it, it's hard to like the tone of anything else. Re. your questions, the C8 cab is 4ohms. It obviously packs more of a punch than a C4, but check the BG400 can run an ext cab with that impedance. I've an idea it might be 8 minimum, which limits you to a C4. Two C4s (the BG is effectively a C4 with built in amp) is pretty pokey, within reason. Whether they will do the job for you depends how much of an animal your drummer is.  I have 3 C4s, but my head will run into 2 ohms. PJB cabs are quite inefficient - they take some driving to give of their best - so even if your BG400 can run a 4ohm ext cab, you may need more power to drive a C8 properly. The PJB Piranha drivers have ceramic magnets, the Neos have neodymium and are lighter. I find the Piranhas have a bit more oomph, but are not quite as smooth/sweet as the Neos.

4 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Didn't know that. If your BG400 will drive an additional C8, should sound ace.

It does - I’ve emailed Phil Jones and they say the 8 ohm C8 goes with a BG400. I just wondered if it was worth the extra £300 to get the C8 over a C4. By the sound of it, it is.