Why become a member? ×

Accidental Ashdown Experience

stewblack

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

You mean the knob that determines how much of the signal goes through the ECC83 valve? Yes, it does give a good tube like facsimile for some reason!

Someone else has pointed this out to me farther up the thread. Explains why I was so blown away by how authentic a 'facsimile' it was. 

What still surprises me is there's no fuss made about the presence of the tube on the amp itself. These days manufacturers have tiny windows cut into the fascia so we can watch the little thing glow. Or at the very least a picture of a valve and the word tube somewhere prominently displayed. 

Makes me like Ashdown even more. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, stewblack said:

What still surprises me is there's no fuss made about the presence of the tube on the amp itself. These days manufacturers have tiny windows cut into the fascia so we can watch the little thing glow. Or at the very least a picture of a valve and the word tube somewhere prominently displayed.

This is true, I have an effects pedal (a vox) that has a valve hole at the top with a little glowing valve. The irony being it is a cold cathode valve, so the only reason it glows is that it has an orange LED behind it :D

It is good that it is there for the sound, rather than for the marketing, but that is pretty much like ashdown. Although it has to be said, they make the valves pretty prominant and showy in mine. A CTM100.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, stewblack said:

Makes me like Ashdown even more. 

Well, they are British.

• Haha 1