Why become a member? ×

Stencilling SKB/Peli cases

Twigman

I have some SKB and Peli cases that need some stencilling so that they can be identified as ours in what is likely to be a crowded backstage at the Wave Gotik Treffen this weekend.

SKB and Peli cases are ABS aren't they? I have acrylic paints (airbrush) - will they need a plastic primer? - Is airbrushing the best way or is there an easier way?

I have some plastic letter stencils but it seems I will have to paint one letter at a time as they are too wide to tape together and maintain the correct spacing.

Any advice?

Last stencilling I had to do, I used some good quality card and cut out with a scalpel. I used just a generic white spray paint from Halfords straight onto the Peli with no issues. The trick is a few light coats and gradually build it. I didn't get any runs, and when I was done with the case and wanted to sell it on, some all purpose cleaner, nailbrush and jet washer got it off easily enough.

By rights, yes you should use a plastic primer but in reality you won't need to. Degrease it first to get rid of any residue that will stop adhesion, as Goblin said above, light coats is key but you don't really want any build at all, just enough of a coating to be visible if you know what I mean. I heavy build is when it starts flaking/chipping off as it's less flexible and more likely to crack if hit or flexed . Aim more for 'heavy overspray' rather than 'deep gloss' and it'll be fine.