Why become a member? ×

Lighter strings than Spiro Weichs

petebassist

I'm using a set of TM Spiro Weichs, which are great, but when I'm playing further up the neck where the vibrating string length is shorter I'm finding the tension still slightly a bit too much. Does anyone have tips on using lighter strings, such as Presto Nylon ultralights or similar. Or should I just butch it out and expect to strengthen my fingers eventually?

Thanks, Pete

Presto Nylon Lights have less tension than spiro weich (IME) so the Presto ultralight would definitely be lower.  I'd suggest trying just the light/ultralight G or G and D with your existing Spiros as there is much better definition on the Spiro A and E strings compared to the Presto A and E.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, petebassist said:

I'm using a set of TM Spiro Weichs, which are great, but when I'm playing further up the neck where the vibrating string length is shorter I'm finding the tension still slightly a bit too much. Does anyone have tips on using lighter strings, such as Presto Nylon ultralights or similar. Or should I just butch it out and expect to strengthen my fingers eventually?

Thanks, Pete

Your fingers will strengthen. This is a very good thing.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I went from Spiro Weichs to Presto Lights to reduce the tension, and it worked well for me. TheRev is right about the E string particularly though, the E on the Presto's isn't great and I'm thinking about putting the Spiro one back on.

Thanks, this is useful advice from you and @TheRev , sounds like a good compromise.  

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

I went from Spiro Weichs to Presto Lights to reduce the tension, and it worked well for me. TheRev is right about the E string particularly though, the E on the Presto's isn't great and I'm thinking about putting the Spiro one back on.

It does vary from bass to bass though. I didn't like the Presto A & E at all on my ply bass but they work well enough on my carved bass. Having said that I reckon I'd struggle with the E if the carved bass was my gigging bass.

Another vote for Spiro Solo 3/4 downtuned to EADG. Have the Spiro core tone (albeit slightly darker) but noticeably less tension. See image attached for a really useful comparison.

Presto UL or L are nice but a different kettle of fish altogether, being much fatter (in diameter) nylon wound, gut emulating strings.

20190607_001407.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Clarky 

How do the Spiro Solo’s tuned down to E A D G compare to Evah Pirazzi Weichs in terms of sound and tension, tension mainly? Was considering Neal Miners set up with the Spiro E & A, Oliver G and a Kaplan Golden Spiral G (style string)

Hey Laurence

Evah Pirazzi Weich are the following tensions - you can see only the G is similarly low in tension to Spiro 3/4 Solo (I have put 3/4 Spiro Solo in brackets after each)
E 63.4 (57.8)
A 64.0 (57.8)
D 61.4 (57.8)
G 56.1 (56.0)

3/4 Spiro Solo are in my view much easier on the left hand and they still retain that core Spiro sound, if a little darker than Weichs/Mittels

Just now, bassadder said:

Cool so more of that Spiro growl on the E But with less tension?

The E is darker with a little less growl than Weich/Mitts (not quite so Danny Thompson) but not radically different and still identifiably Spiro

Can you bow the Red-o-Day’s? Charlie H has my favourite sound but I play a fair bit of arco Classical for practice and a lot of old Cumbrian folk melodies.... btw my good friend Zoltan Dekany studies with Charlie Haden at Cal Arts in the 90’s. He’s a brilliant player and teacher if you ever wanted a lesson.