Why become a member? ×

It's over

Rich

Well that's it. We may as well all give up, lads and ladies.

Bloke on Radio 2 has just announced that the Spice Girls are the best British band of all time. We can't compete with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Rich said:

Bloke on Radio 2 has just announced that the Spice Girls are the best British band of all time. We can't compete with that.

Wonder how much they got bunged by the Spicey mgmt to say that, given that they're on tour at the moment?

2 hours ago, Rich said:

The key bit is highlighted above

False alarm! ⚠️

As you were :)

2 hours ago, upside downer said:

Is Zoe Ball a bloke? She does that show, doesn't she?

Ah but it wasn't her who made the statement in question, it was her traffic/sport/weather/whatever chap. I think he went to see them the other night or something. To her credit, Ms Ball did actually pull him up a bit on his, errm, enthusiastic claim: "What, like forget the Beatles and the Stones and Led Zep...?"

Edited by Rich

24 minutes ago, Rich said:

Ah but it wasn't her who made the statement in question, it was her traffic/sport/weather/whatever chap. I think he went to see them the other night or something. To her credit, Ms Ball did actually pull him up a bit on his, errm, enthusiastic claim: "What, like forget the Beatles and the Stones and Led Zep...?"

Well done, Ms Ball. Even though you're not a patch on your old man.

• Like 1

Surprised at the accolade for the SG as the Press last week was full of complaints about bad sound at the opening concerts

'Spice Girls fans have vented their fury over overcrowding and disorganisation which reportedly led to crushes at their gig in Coventry, England.

The iconic girl group played the first of two planned shows at the city's Ricoh Arena on Monday, as part of their Spice World - 2019 Tour.

However, fans complained they were left stranded outside in a car park, causing them to miss support act Jess Glynne. Others angrily claimed that, due to the delays, concertgoers were rushed through turnstiles without bag checks, creating dangerous and frightening crushes.

"The crush and disorganization (sic) at the turnstiles was so bad I had a panic attack and had to be rushed inside by the staff. Not fun," one fan tweeted. "Thanks for nothing @RicohArena."

The Twitter user later advised fans with tickets for Tuesday's second date at the rugby and soccer stadium not to bother turning up as the venue was unsafe.

Another fan complained: "I'm really surprised no one got hurt as no bag searches and they opened the gates and stopped ticket checks leading to crowd surges!"

Others reported scuffles with security staff and struggles to get home due to a lack of public transport options.

The Spice Girls' comeback tour has had a rocky start, as the band suffered sound problems at their first concerts in Dublin and Cardiff.

Despite the troubles, their manager Simon Fuller has indicated Mel B, Mel C, Geri Horner, and Emma Bunton are willing to take their trek global.

"We can kick into gear at 24 hours notice," he told Music Week. "It was important for them to get back together and tour Britain, because there's such a connection. I'd say it's 50/50; if it happens, great, if it doesn't, then it's all been good."

Edited by yorks5stringer

5 hours ago, Rich said:

the best British band of all time.

To be fair, until we've experienced *all* time it's hard to prove otherwise. Let's discuss over a gargleblaster or 3 at Milliways ;)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Surprised at the accolade for the SG as the Press last week was full of complaints about bad sound at the opening concerts

'Spice Girls fans have vented their fury over overcrowding and disorganisation which reportedly led to crushes at their gig in Coventry, England.

The iconic girl group played the first of two planned shows at the city's Ricoh Arena on Monday, as part of their Spice World - 2019 Tour.

However, fans complained they were left stranded outside in a car park, causing them to miss support act Jess Glynne. Others angrily claimed that, due to the delays, concertgoers were rushed through turnstiles without bag checks, creating dangerous and frightening crushes.

"The crush and disorganization (sic) at the turnstiles was so bad I had a panic attack and had to be rushed inside by the staff. Not fun," one fan tweeted. "Thanks for nothing @RicohArena."

The Twitter user later advised fans with tickets for Tuesday's second date at the rugby and soccer stadium not to bother turning up as the venue was unsafe.

Another fan complained: "I'm really surprised no one got hurt as no bag searches and they opened the gates and stopped ticket checks leading to crowd surges!"

Others reported scuffles with security staff and struggles to get home due to a lack of public transport options.

The Spice Girls' comeback tour has had a rocky start, as the band suffered sound problems at their first concerts in Dublin and Cardiff.

Despite the troubles, their manager Simon Fuller has indicated Mel B, Mel C, Geri Horner, and Emma Bunton are willing to take their trek global.

"We can kick into gear at 24 hours notice," he told Music Week. "It was important for them to get back together and tour Britain, because there's such a connection. I'd say it's 50/50; if it happens, great, if it doesn't, then it's all been good."

It's funny, I was talking to friend of mine this morning who had just come back from the Coventry gig, it was the first time she had seen them despite being a fan as a kid, she was waxing lyrical about the whole experience! 

Jess Glynne supporting that lot??????!!

She writes a cracking pop song, and has a fabulous voice....you know can really sing. 

I guess shiny lights and choreography wins over musical talent, in the eyes of the great British public. 🤦🏻‍♂️

As I climb the greasy pole of rock stardom, it is good to know the bar has been set low for my band.  

PS I don’t actually have band but am currently rehearsing with just two guitarists and some loud foot tapping. We have no drummer or vocalist - Perhaps we can make Apache  number one and show those Condiment Women just who is best! :D  

4 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I still remember Victoria Beckham on TFI Friday back in the 90s, without a hint of irony, describing herself as a singer songwriter. Nobody in the audience laughed.

I'd be surprised if Victoria B can even spell irony...

2 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Jess Glynne supporting that lot??????!!

She writes a cracking pop song, and has a fabulous voice....you know can really sing. 

I guess shiny lights and choreography wins over musical talent, in the eyes of the great British public. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Agree, but they’ve got “the name” which seems to be how music works, irrespective of genre. But, canny move for JG, she can tap into a lot of people through these supports, people who should be able to see her talent, then hopefully they’ll become fans of hers as well.

• Like 1