Why become a member? ×

2 x NBD (Serek & Elrick content)

Sibob

Well after spectacularly failing my gear abstinence challenge (well I managed 5 months), I went strong and wrong:

Serek Midwestern - Amazingly fun shortscale, seriously, one of the most fun basses I’ve ever played, sounds amazing, incredibly comfortable, and top-level build quality :

1E8C5BB3-36B0-4460-8B84-A840447A57F7.thumb.jpeg.2a878f450a8ae1cf2e18fad9f476eae7.jpeg

Elrick Expat Evolution 5 - Yes it’s one of the ‘cheaper’ standard models, but it really is boutique, incredible 5 string with all the quality US spec appointments, but without the frills, super solid bass:

15F4AD1A-D966-4902-8227-4557584E343B.thumb.jpeg.61b9b34417c24b0420c55e4671e06cf6.jpeg

It’s been a mildly tough start to the year personally, and so I thought I’d treat myself.

I’ve wanted builds from both brands for a while, and so with my Lakland basses, I’ve now completed my ‘Chicago Triumvirate’ :) (Lakland, Serek and Elrick are all built....granted the Expats are Czech built, but finished etc in the Windy City).

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, thebassist said:

The Serek basses get incredible feedback don't they.

And I've fancied an Elrick for quite sometime myself too.

Which do you prefer so far?

I mean they're utterly different, I've been playing the Serek more, but I've got a run of shows coming up that will have the Elrick on. 
Both are brilliant :)

Si

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Well if you fall off the wagon you might as well go full fat :)

Very nice, both basses.

Exactly right! That's some full-fat enabling right there ;)

29 minutes ago, King Tut said:

Did you order the Serek direct from the manufacturers or are they distributed over here?

Ordered direct from Jake. He had built it as a rare stock item and I snuck in there as it was luckily my perfect spec, so managed to get around the built-time.
There are some UK shops who intermittently get them in stock, Bass Gallery & Bass Direct, but they pretty much sell as soon as they hit the shop.

I know Paul's Bass Matters has a Midwestern II currently in stock: https://www.bassmatters.nl/en/1696/Serek-Midwestern-2

Si

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No lust in Jazz said:

Great Looking Basses - I feel Elrick are overlooked as a builder - I have a Serek MW2 (delivered ten minutes ago) waiting for me at home - your pictures aren't helping.

Really good guy too, really knows what he's doing! This Expat is excellent, I'd like a US model, but that's a few years down the line methinks :)

I look forward to seeing the MW2 in the Serek thread later maybe :D

Si

45 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Just an observation, the Serek body shape borrows heavily/looks very similar to an Epiphone Crestwood.

For sure, definitely scratches my Gibson itch without needing to buy a Gibson lol
Jake has some very Serek shapes in the Sacramento, MW2 & Armitage, as well as another other 'tribute' shape in the Lincoln.

Si

1 hour ago, BassBunny said:

I thought the Serek had a familiar look about it.😁. uncannily like an Epiphone Crestwood I had in the late 60's.

Crestwood.png.15469f8adf6d596f34f937b978af22ca.png

I mean, this is a little like sounding surprised about “oh that Lakland is uncannily like a Fender” lol, the MW shape widely known about, there’s no unearthed conspiracy here :)

Si