Why become a member? ×

Onboard Preamp Upgrade advice?

I snagged this Dean Sledgehammer 5 the other day and i'm finding the 2 band preamp to be somewhat lack lustre...so I want to upgrade it to a 3 band. I have a local luthier who can fit it for me so I just need to make a decision on which preamp would be best....but I dont know a whole lot about them.

I mostly play metal and reggae/dub. 
I dont use a pick.
I use a Darkglass B7K Ultra and Seymour Duncan Studio Compressor pedals through a Markbass Little Mark III.

Having the B7K makes me lean more towards the Darkglass Tone capsule...but is that not just more of the same thing? Or would that work well with my B7K Ultra?

I also want to upgrade the crappy bridge at a later date, most likely to a Babicz FCH-5 or Hipshot A so i'm open to suggestions there too.

Which other preamps would you consider?

Cheers!

DSH.png

I've not personally tried this variety, but all my basses with an on-board preamp have an East unit fitted (one exception of course) and they are universally excellent.

On the other side I put an East pre-amp into a Sterling Ray34 and was unimpressed with it, probably better than the original but not the improvement I hoped it would be!

Surely a good pre-amp will happily cope with with all styles of playing?

I put a Glockenlang into my Bass Collection 802 and it sounds ace, however the original didn't work at all so anything was going to be an improvement!