Why become a member? ×

So this guy on Gumtree....

Bassislife16

Had a lovely conversation with a bloke this morning on Gumtree, absolutely adamant his P bass replica is a legit Fender, funnily enough he thinks he knows how to spot a fake, apparently not.... posting here really as a warning so hopefully no one falls for it. Obviously didn’t want to post in the “eBay weird and wonderful” section of the forum because “No Gumtree posts” 🤷🏼‍♂️

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/fender-precision-bass-guitar/1342142705?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

6AA13421-5E07-458D-94BC-06504FC956C0.png

D0C29852-0CD1-4C70-908B-B644FD7B3743.png

D493AEB6-BA76-4516-84D6-D1CBBC0ECDEA.png

A930ADCF-336B-4286-B935-64B4A793DF2B.png

538CB578-B9D5-468E-97A4-7E8F0A9FD5BF.png

49BCFA64-B971-4E69-B683-995503081A88.png

7226A568-2F78-40A4-828D-BF282F347EB0.png

64F79F55-4B82-40C5-8818-72BEC76E8C1F.png

" Would consider exchange for a small diesel automatic car but no rubbish please."

I've got a genuine low mileage Aston Martin small diesel automatic car I could swap for that 😂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, KiOgon said:

" Would consider exchange for a small diesel automatic car but no rubbish please."

I've got a genuine low mileage Aston Martin small diesel automatic car I could swap for that 😂

I reckon he may trade for my 2013 BMW 1 Series....or I could offer my house instead because apparently his MDF bass is worth that much...

"Faker than the tits on a stripper" - pure class! :lol:

Anyway - if you think Mateyboy would benefit from more info, I can not only confirm that it's not a Fender, but I can in fact tell you what it is - it's a Musima, made during the Cold War era in what was then East Germany. These are easily identified by the wheel-type truss adjuster (which as any fule kno, never appeared on any vintage Fender) and the use of nice quality Gotoh Res-o-lite tuners. There are loads of unbranded examples, most sellers assume/pretend they're Japanese. Never seen one masquerading as a Fender before.

So as copies go, it's an interesting curiosity but not even that collectable as a knock-off - these tend to go for under £150. Nice tuners, though. :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

"Faker than the tits on a stripper" - pure class! :lol:

Anyway - if you think Mateyboy would benefit from more info, I can not only confirm that it's not a Fender, but I can in fact tell you what it is - it's a Musima, made during the Cold War era in what was then East Germany. These are easily identified by the wheel-type truss adjuster (which as any fule kno, never appeared on any vintage Fender) and the use of nice quality Gotoh Res-o-lite tuners. There are loads of unbranded examples, most sellers assume/pretend they're Japanese. Never seen one masquerading as a Fender before.

So as copies go, it's an interesting curiosity but not even that collectable as a knock-off - these tend to go for under £150. Nice tuners, though. :)

YES! Thank you for your knowledge good sir!

6 minutes ago, Bassislife16 said:

YES! Thank you for your knowledge good sir!

Thought I should give him the benefit of that on his Ebay listing:

Hi - just to let you know that I'm afraid your bass isn't a vintage Fender - in fact it's not a Fender at all, and I hope you didn't pay anything like the price you're asking for it. What it is though, is actually quite interesting, if you know your vintage copies. It's a Musima, probably early 80s, and was made in the former East Germany. These are easy to spot in a few ways, notably the wheel-type truss adjuster (absolutely never used by Fender) and the tuners, which are good quality Japanese-made Gotohs, again never used by Fender. If you look at the finish you'll notice that there are big black oversprays on the contours - this is a common technique used to disguise the fact the body's not solid timber, but either ply or butcher-block. You'll never see this on any genuine Fender. Hope this helps - Jon.

:D

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

I will buy this genuine Fender with my genuine £18 pound notes!

Just hope I am "the lucky guy!"

Maybe if you laugh at the dude hard enough the fake fender decal will fly off and hit him in the forehead...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Aidan63 said:

Just like the one I bought a couple of weeks ago

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Musima-70-80-039-s-punk-era-Precision-type-Bass-/183802178861?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=62IuQIzGS480gtQMZoT48rvNorc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

for £77 

should I be a cnut and put a Fender logo on it and rip someone off, erm I think not

Think you'd get away with it, Sonny Jim? :D

• Haha 1

What's the deal then? Report to eBay and if enough report it, it gets pulled off?

Do Gumtree pull fakes if/when reported too?

Or do we just ignore this one and if anyone is looking for a genuine Fender, they do their due diligence as always?

6 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

What's the deal then? Report to eBay and if enough report it, it gets pulled off?

Do Gumtree pull fakes if/when reported too?

Or do we just ignore this one and if anyone is looking for a genuine Fender, they do their due diligence as always?

I’ve reported to eBay...

I contacted him through Ebay with the link to the one I bought, this is the reply

Hi thanks for your comments. I do admit I am not sure

now about this guitar but if it is what you say could you

give me an idea of the price I should be charging.

Thank you.

I replied with some info and pointed out the £77 price I paid

Body on mine is solid wood but veneered, one piece on the front and book matched on the rear, no idea what the wood for the body is, the veneer makes it look like alder

Edited by Aidan63
formatting
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Krysbass said:

Even as one who has never owned a Fender and without even being a devotee of the marque; I can spot enough things that don't look right with that bass to make me very doubtful as to its claimed pedigree. 😯

MB1.

"Ill second that emotion"

..........that headstock logos more suspicious than Elvis Presley's hit Suspicion!

12 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

I contacted him through Ebay with the link to the one I bought, this is the reply

Hi thanks for your comments. I do admit I am not sure

now about this guitar but if it is what you say could you

give me an idea of the price I should be charging.

Thank you.

I found it on Ebay and emailed the guy pretty much exactly what Bassislife 16 said, he came back to me with much the same as above to which I replied £200 tops!

Boy, we are good on here!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

Yet another chancer! Deluded fool. 

In this case it sounds more like someone without enough experience who bought something he thought was a Fender and is now finding out his mistake. Probably thought he got a great deal...

• Like 1